• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

physician-patient privilege

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skathalee

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I had a mastectomy and reconstruction.
My insurance company then asked me for a list of all my doctors, with visit dates and why. I did the best I could. Now I get a letter asking me to waive my physician-patient privileges, driving records or any other records they can get their hands on. They say that they need this to evaluate for payment of my claims. I don't know if this is common or what? I feel disturbed by this. I need help?
Thanks, Skathalee

ALawyer

WHY do they want it? What right do they have? Is this YOUR company, or another carrier?

Insurance companies usually ask for medical information and a waiver in connection with the application for the policy. Did this company? If not, unless the policy provides for a right to such disclosure, you probably have no obligation to consent to a waiver. Also, read the waiver carefully. Even if they have a legal right -- the waiver should be no broader than their right.

C

CIAA

skathalee,

Is your policy still contestable? How long have you had it? It sounds as if they are wanting to investigate your past health history and this may mean a claim denial for pre-existing illness, or a voiding of the policy for application misstatements. Have you already filed your claim on forms provided to you by the company? What does your policy say about your providing "proof of loss"?

S

skathalee

I will answer as best I can. My husband and I have private insurance, not though a company. We have had it for almost a year. I did have a exclusion for any disorder of the skin or subcutaneous tissues including skin cancer or skin lesions. This was because I had a very small skin cancer on my nose removed, so small it didn't even leave a scar.
Does this mean breast cancer too? I didn't realize that if this is what it all means. I guess I am a dope.
Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">