• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Picking up one child but not the other?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danyel

I live in Missouri. The father and I have a supervised exchange of our two children. He repeatedly asks that I only bring our daughter, who is five. He says that our two year old son is too young for him to care for. Do I have to separate our children for these visitation times.

VeronicaGia

danyel said:
I live in Missouri. The father and I have a supervised exchange of our two children. He repeatedly asks that I only bring our daughter, who is five. He says that our two year old son is too young for him to care for. Do I have to separate our children for these visitation times.
Well, you cannot deny him his court ordered visitation, and you cannot force him to take either or both kids. While I think he's being a jerk, lot's of parents are jerks.

LdiJ

danyel said:
That is a very good question....and one that may not have a legal answer.

Is he a decent dad?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As far as I know, he is allowed to exercise his visitation as he chooses. And absent an order requiring him to take both? He can take just the one.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
As far as I know, he is allowed to exercise his visitation as he chooses. And absent an order requiring him to take both? He can take just the one.
If he is a decent dad otherwise...I bet she could get the judge to order him to take both....in fact, I bet the judge would rip him a new one.

danyel

Although he repeatedly cancels visitations, I think the time he does spend with my daughter is quality time. He is very selfish and immature. I think he doesn't want to be inconvienced by a toddler.

bononos

I would be relieved.
Although, I feel soooo bad for your little guy, I wouldn't feel confortable forcing him to take him if he admits he can't handle him.
You want him to be safe, don't you?
Hopefully, as he gets older he'll come around and be better equipped.
He should take some parenting classes to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">