• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Picture in book from my company, credited to a competitor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Sole manufacturer, and seller. Had a patent but expired.
I suggest you contact the publisher of the book to point out the error so it can be corrected in any future printings of the book.

Do you have any demonstrable damages from the appearance in the book of the photo of your product and/or from your product being wrongly attributed to the competing company?

Do you know if the other company has profited from being wrongly connected with your company's product?

You can have all specifics reviewed by an attorney in your area to determine who is at fault for the error and to see if there is any legal action to pursue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps this was simply
Sorry to be so elusive, we feel this is very embarrassing for our company.
Let me try this. A book about limousine services shows a picture of a Bentley with the caption: The AAA limousine service uses this vehicle, available from Ford"
You mean that they made a mistake...

FlyingRon

There's no problem with someone profiting off your product as long as the various IP issues (trademark, copyright) are respected.

quincy

Based strictly on what has been said, this appears to me to be a publisher's editing error, much like ones where people pictured in a photo are misidentified. It seems to be a simple (albeit sloppy) mislabeling of a photo.

But there are not enough facts presented to say. Perhaps the type of book could tell more.

If Bobby is reluctant to disclose too much on a public forum, and if Bobby's company has suffered financial harm (and not just "embarrassment") as a result of the publication of the mislabeled product photo, he can have the book, photo and all of the particulars personally reviewed by an attorney in his area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">