• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pictures Of Dead Artists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcchurchmouse

I am working on a book project with someone. I have taken pictures of art he owns and we are putting it into a book. He wants to include a photograph of each of the artists. All the artists were dead by 1905 or so and were French. I have found a few photographs of each artist using google images. How can I determine if these are in the public domain, they are so old! Most all of them are very small, smaller than 500px on the long side if that makes a difference. Thank you!

Benjamin

quincy

I am working on a book project with someone. I have taken pictures of art he owns and we are putting it into a book. He wants to include a photograph of each of the artists. All the artists were dead by 1905 or so and were French. I have found a few photographs of each artist using google images. How can I determine if these are in the public domain, they are so old! Most all of them are very small, smaller than 500px on the long side if that makes a difference. Thank you!

Benjamin
What is the name of your state?

If the artists were dead by 1905, the original photographs of the artists when they were alive would be in the public domain in the U.S. If the photographs have been altered (e.g., colorized), those photographs may be rights-protected.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">