• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Piecework rate adjustment after completion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

widgetridge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm working in Ohio, and I am doing piecework. I was wanting to know if an Employer can adjust the rate on a job if he/she feels that I am making too much money on that job? Can they adjust my rate of pay after I completed the work? The rates are written out and are the same for everyone, but my employer is adjusting the rates for individuals (taking monies away) because they feel we are making too much. Other, who do the same task, still get paid the same rate.

My employer is making changes to our pay and not showing us where they have made the changes. Everything is computerized, but there is no way possible to get a printed copy of what we have done, nor is it possible to get a printed copy of the changes my employer has made. I have asked for copies, and was told it's not possible.

pattytx

Generally speaking, an employer cannot change the rate of pay after the hours have been worked. However, neither do they have to legally show you any supporting documentation of the calculations.

In Ohio, your recourse is limited. You can try contacting the state DOL to see if you can file a wage complaint for this issue, but they might tell you no, state law does not provide such a mandate. In that case, your only other option would be a small claims action for breach of contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">