• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Piercing gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnaMarie123

What is the name of your state? Washington
Looking for an attorney in WA state that could help represent me in a claim against a tattoo/piercing parlor?
Briefly: I got a piercing on a monday, infection started 24 hours later, 1st Dr. visit was urgent care 48 hrs after piercing, 2nd ER visit 12 hours after urgent care visit and 3rd hospital PCU admittance for 4 days infection spread from my ear , across forehead, scalp, cheek and neck. I was diagnosed with Sepsis, pseudomonas perichondritis and cellulitis.
Medical bills are coming in and it’s already over 20k (I do not have health insurance)
The tattoo parlor is not willing to work with me on filing a claim with their insurance. I was able to send dept of lisencing a request for their insurance information and they provided me with it. I have contacted them and received a claim number but not assigned an adjustor yet.
I also have a copy of all of my medical records from all 3 visits, a copy of the waiver I signed at piercing parlor, and pictures I took.
I have a 6 mo old baby and was not able to breast feed her during my care for the infection, I had to arrange child care for her and my 11 yr old son as well as my husband had to miss work
I was in extreme pain.
After my piercing I was not sent home with after care instructions.
And the tattoo parlor is not

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to contact a local attorney to review your case.

Having said that, the risk of infection is a known risk from piercings. I suspect the waiver you signed isn't going to help your case.

Good luck.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Washington
Looking for an attorney in WA state that could help represent me in a claim against a tattoo/piercing parlor?
Briefly: I got a piercing on a monday, infection started 24 hours later, 1st Dr. visit was urgent care 48 hrs after piercing, 2nd ER visit 12 hours after urgent care visit and 3rd hospital PCU admittance for 4 days infection spread from my ear , across forehead, scalp, cheek and neck. I was diagnosed with Sepsis, pseudomonas perichondritis and cellulitis.
Medical bills are coming in and it’s already over 20k (I do not have health insurance)
The tattoo parlor is not willing to work with me on filing a claim with their insurance. I was able to send dept of lisencing a request for their insurance information and they provided me with it. I have contacted them and received a claim number but not assigned an adjustor yet.
I also have a copy of all of my medical records from all 3 visits, a copy of the waiver I signed at piercing parlor, and pictures I took.
I have a 6 mo old baby and was not able to breast feed her during my care for the infection, I had to arrange child care for her and my 11 yr old son as well as my husband had to miss work
I was in extreme pain.
After my piercing I was not sent home with after care instructions.
And the tattoo parlor is not
You took the best first step by getting immediate medical help.

You took the second best step by filing a claim with the tattoo parlor's insurance company.

Here is a link to the Washington State Bar which you can use to locate a personal injury lawyer in your area, followed by a link to Attorney Pages, where you could also find an attorney:

https://www.wsba.org/for-the-public/find-legal-help
https://attorneypages.com
The initial consultation with the personal injury attorney should be free. Personal injury attorneys (generally) work on a contingency basis (they don't get paid unless you collect on your claim).

Good luck.

Last edited:

DawnaMarie123

You need to contact a local attorney to review your case.

Having said that, the risk of infection is a known risk from piercings. I suspect the waiver you signed isn't going to help your case.

Good luck.
The waiver did not state infection being a possible risk( granted I do know that it’s a possibility)

DawnaMarie123

You took the best first step by getting immediate medical help.

You took the second best step by filing a claim with the tattoo parlor's insurance company.

Here is a link to the Washington State Bar which you can use to locate a personal injury lawyer in your area, followed by a link to Attorney Pages, where you could also find an attorney:

https://www.wsba.org/for-the-public/find-legal-help
https://attorneypages.com
The initial consultation with the personal injury attorney should be free. Personal injury attorneys (generally) work on a contingency basis (they don't get paid unless you collect on your claim).

Good luck.
Thank you,
Do you think I may have a case here.

quincy

The waiver did not state infection being a possible risk( granted I do know that it’s a possibility)
A signed waiver of liability (and assumption of risk) form will under most circumstances be enforceable in Washington. But the specific wording of the waiver needs to be personally reviewed, as will all facts of the piercing and the medical care that was required for the infection after you had your body pierced.

Good luck.

edit: changed tattoo to pierce - thanks Zigner :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">