• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pit bull law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

princess45001

What is the name of your state? ohio.i am curious as to if the law states the dog itself has to be insured or if you have to cover the dogs deeds i was informed my dog has to be insured for $100,000 but when i called my homeowners insurance company they informed me that "if they knew i had a pit bull they would have to cancel my insurance but if i happened to have 1 and someone was injured i was insured for $300,000 liability bodily harm that would have to cover that" so legally should i have to have the dog itself insured or is this ok.

JETX

Your issue is localized. I would suggest you contact your local animal control or health and safety agency.

HomeGuru

Writer, this is not a law issue but a private regulation set forth by your own homeowner's insurance carrier.

K

knotcops

Most insurance companies will not write a homeowners policy if you own one of the following dogs; Pit Bull, Akita, Chow, Rotwieller, Wolf hybryd.

Now that your insurance company knows you have a Pit Bull, they will more than likely cancel you. Also, when you took out the policy, the agent would have asked you if you have a dog and what breed. If you lied and answered no, conceivabley, a claim might be denied because of material misrepresentation.

Why do you people want this type of dog anyway? Macho thing, or what? You are putting yourself and others in harms way by owning this breed. And don't tell me the dog is friendly and wouldn't hurt a fly. It only takes one bite.

tammy8

knotcops said:
Why do you people want this type of dog anyway? Macho thing, or what? You are putting yourself and others in harms way by owning this breed. And don't tell me the dog is friendly and wouldn't hurt a fly. It only takes one bite.
I was just thinking the same thing too!

JETX

From the Houston Chronicle:
"Nov. 21, 2003, 11:42PM
Dog bites ruled as cause of death
By RAD SALLEE
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

A woman whose mauled body was found Wednesday on a southeast Houston street died of dog bites, the Harris County medical examiner's office determined Friday.

At first, investigators were uncertain whether Fannie Pearl Pharms, 58, was killed by a trio of dogs found near her body, or if they attacked her after she died of some other cause.

An autopsy by Dr. Stephen Wilson determined the cause of death was "multiple sharp force injuries" sustained when Pharms was "attacked and bitten by canines," said Rudy Flores, administrator of the medical examiner's office.

Pharms' body was found in the 4800 block of Maggie near her home. The dogs, two pit bulls and a Rottweiler, were captured without incident and had no previous record of attacking anyone, said Houston health department spokeswoman Kathy Barton.

The three are held by the city Bureau of Animal Regulation and Care, 2700 Evella. Barton said they belong to Lelton Stoneham of 4758 Maggie. Neither Stoneham nor relatives of Pharms could be reached for comment.

Barton said that in view of the medical examiner's ruling, city health director Dr. Mary des Vignes-Kendrick is likely to declare the dogs dangerous early next week. They would then be destroyed after a 10-day appeal period, unless the owner obtains a restraining order from a district court, Barton said.

"And we've never lost one of those," she added.

Meanwhile, the future of three pit bull dogs that ran wild and bit a pedestrian Sept. 20 in Huntington Village subdivision in southwest Houston remains unclear.

In a hearing Friday at the pound, where they have been held since the attacks, animal control officials upheld an earlier finding that the dogs are dangerous.

Several residents described the canines as a neighborhood nuisance, but their owner, Babetta Mayes, said she has moved to Arkansas and wants her pets to join her.

For this to happen, Barton said, Mayes must pay nearly $1,300 in fees for boarding and other costs, and purchase $100,000 in insurance coverage on each dog. An additional requirement of more secure fencing will be waived if the dogs are removed from the city, Barton said."
Source: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2241403

P

princess45001

maybe i was misunderstood

i do not have a problem with my insurance carrier and i did not have the dog when i took out the insurance so there was no fraud i am a very responsible pet owner my dog stays inside at all times unless i walk her with a leash.she is a very gentle dog.and i know someone who was bit by a lab and died so that is no argument as to why i own a dog of this stature i was just wanting to know if i have to have the dog itself insured.it is a state law.

If you have your heart set on owning this breed of dog, I would strongly suggest that you increase your homeowner's liability insurance to more than the $300,000 you carry.

The majority of dog bite claims I have handle (6 out of 10) involve Rottweilers, closely followed by German Shepherds. But when I do get a Pit Bull claim, they are usually horrible beyond imagination.

The most recent claim I handled involved a Pit Bull and an 11 year old visiting relative of my insured. He swore his dog was sweet and gentle and had never shown aggression before. (kind of like yours, huh?) When the little girl became afraid of the dog sniffing her and ran, the dog attacked her. It literally ripped the calf from one of her legs and tore the other leg up pretty good, as well. The little girl spent 7 weeks in the hospital recovering from her injuries and the surgeries required to repair the damage. This is before the extensive rehab the little girl must undergo and extensive cosmetic surgeries she will require. This little girl will never look "hot" in a short skirt. Thank God it wasn't her face.

My insured's mother, who also lived at this home and was not a stranger to the dog, threw a blanket over the dog to try to get the dog to let go of the little girl. It worked. But when the dog came out from under the blanket. it went after the woman, ripping her arm open, causing nerve damage, hospitalization and two surgeries to repair the damage.

$300,000 is not even close to enough to settle the little girl's claim. Her hospital bill alone exceeds that amount.

Any breed of dog can & will bite. But dogs typically do not challenge their human victim to a fight to the death, the way the Pit Bull does. The wounds are not typically anywhere near as serious as those caused by Pit Bull attacks. When the pit bull decides to bite, it is usually extremely vicious and usually with the apparent intent to kill.

Since you are willing to take that chance, having such a nice, sweet dog and all, you ought to make sure you carry enough insurance to compensate the dog's victim should it ever decide to attack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">