• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pit bull mix attacks cat in my fenced back yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Texas. A pit bull mix got into my fenced back yard. Luckily, I was working from home and right next to the back patio. The dog attacked by sleeping cat on my back patio. I immediately ran outside and hit the dog and he let go of my cat. I called the police. They came and removed the dog from my back yard and found the owners (I mentioned I had seen that dog in the backyard 2 houses down before). The police offer said "the owners said they would pay any vet bills and they would come talk to me shortly". Well surprise surprise, they never contacted me. My cat was injured and required stiches and surgery. The vet bill is close to a $1000 I paid it out of pocket.

Additionally, the person that was home said to the police "she was not the owner and it is someone else's who lives there who is not home yet". I am in the process of obtaining a copy of the police incident.

What is the best way to recuperate the money for the vet bills? Additionally, who should I sue in small claims court. The person that is the supposed dog owner or the property owner?

If I sue the property owner, can they use as a defense the dog belongs to someone else who lives there?

Please Advise,

quincy

I live in Texas. A pit bull mix got into my fenced back yard. Luckily, I was working from home and right next to the back patio. The dog attacked by sleeping cat on my back patio. I immediately ran outside and hit the dog and he let go of my cat. I called the police. They came and removed the dog from my back yard and found the owners (I mentioned I had seen that dog in the backyard 2 houses down before). The police offer said "the owners said they would pay any vet bills and they would come talk to me shortly". Well surprise surprise, they never contacted me. My cat was injured and required stiches and surgery. The vet bill is close to a $1000 I paid it out of pocket.

Additionally, the person that was home said to the police "she was not the owner and it is someone else's who lives there who is not home yet". I am in the process of obtaining a copy of the police incident.

What is the best way to recuperate the money for the vet bills? Additionally, who should I sue in small claims court. The person that is the supposed dog owner or the property owner?

If I sue the property owner, can they use as a defense the dog belongs to someone else who lives there?

Please Advise,
You would sue the dog owner. The dog owner, in turn, could seek reimbursement from the person who was in charge of the dog when the dog got loose.

LdiJ

Please Advise,
I would sue the dog owner AND the homeowner where the dog lives. If the homeowner does things properly and turns it over to her homeowner's insurance company to handle the suit, the insurance company may settle with you just to make it go away.

quincy

I would sue the dog owner AND the homeowner where the dog lives. If the homeowner does things properly and turns it over to her homeowner's insurance company to handle the suit, the insurance company may settle with you just to make it go away.
Pit bulls are often excluded from coverage on homeowner policies.

zddoodah

What is the best way to recuperate the money for the vet bills?
If the owner won't pay voluntarily, you'll have to sue and prove your case and damages (including that the $1k you spent was less than or equal to the cat's fair market value).

Additionally, who should I sue in small claims court. The person that is the supposed dog owner or the property owner?
You sue the owner of the dog.

Of course.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses everyone.

Please help me understand how fair market value determined? I paid $50 for the cat 10 months ago. The cat is almost 1 year old.

Does this mean a judge would only order $50 of the $1000 vet billed be paid as a judgement?

If this is really the case, it makes no sense to sue.

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Please help me understand how fair market value determined? I paid $50 for the cat at a rescue a year ago.

Does this mean a judge would only order $50 of the $1000 vet billed be paid as a judgement?

If this is really the case, it makes no sense to sue.
All veterinarian expenses should be paid by the dog owner.

You will want to learn if the dog owner has been cited before and if the dog has previously been labeled a dangerous dog.

Criminal penalties are possible in addition to your civil action.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If your cat survived, “fair market value” is not a consideration. Fair market value is used when determining the replacement costs of property.
Pets aside, as a few states are starting to adopt differing standards for pets, fair market value (FMV) of property is always a consideration when suing for damage to property. The basic rule is that you are entitled to the lesser of the FMV of the item just before it was damaged or the cost to repair it back to the condition it was right before it was damaged. Whether the item was completely destroyed or not doesn't change that. For example, suppose I have a chair that my neighbor breaks through negligence. The chair is not completely destroyed, it merely needs repair that will cost $50. Unfortuantely for me, that chair only has a thrift store (fair market) value of $25. Because my chair is only worth $25 — and thus I could go out and get a replacement for $25 — my maximum recovery from my negligent neighbor is $25. That's true even though I elect to pay $50 to have it repaired because I really liked that old chair. The fact that I had an attachment to that old chair is a noneconomic factor that does not get compensated for in my claim against the neighbor.

The classic common law rule is that animals (including pets) were treated as mere property and that same rule would apply. In the majority of states that still retain that rule, that means that there is little to gain from suing for death or injury to a pet since pets often have no market value — it is tough to even give away many pets particularly since one can get a pet at many shelters basically for free. Some states have started to change their rules for pets to recognize that they have value beyond being mere property, and in those states it may indeed be possible to sue for for more than just the FMV of pet; that is, it may be possible to get noneconomic damages for the loss or injury to a pet.

But it appears that Texas is not one of those states. In 2013 the Texas Supreme Court considered that very issue and elected to adhere to the long standing rule in the state — dating back to 1891 — that animals, including pets, are property and that the rule applied is that recovery is limited to FMV of the animal (if there was any value) or to any special economic value/benefit that the animal provided. Under that rule, the limit on recovery for most pets will be nominal; they have little market value and provide no particular economic benefit to their owners. But some pets, like some service animals, will allow for greater recovery because they do provide an economic benefit like allowing their owners to work, etc. Specifically the court said:

The “true rule” in Texas remains this: Where a dog's market value is unascertainable, the correct damages measure is the dog's “special or pecuniary value” (that is, its actual value)—the economic value derived from its “usefulness and services,” not value drawn from companionship or other non-commercial considerations.
We recognize that the benefit of most family dogs like Avery is not financial but relational, and springs entirely from the pet's closeness with its human companions. Measuring the worth of a beloved pet is unquestionably an emotional determination—what the animal means to you and your family—but measuring a pet's value is a legal determination. We are focused on the latter, and as a matter of law an owner's affection for a dog (or ferret, or parakeet, or tarantula) is not compensable.

Strickland v. Medlen, 397 S.W.3d 184, 192–93 (Tex. 2013). The Court stated that it was for the state Legislature to broaden this rule to allow for noneconomic damages for injury or loss of a pet. So far as I can tell from my search, the legislature has not yet done so.

So indeed, the FMV of the pet, and any economic value of the pet, are still important as that determines the maximum that can be recovered for injury to or death of a pet in Texas, as stated by the Texas Supreme Court above.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
All veterinarian expenses should be paid by the dog owner.
I agree the owner should pay it. It's the right thing to do. But from the Texas case I cited earlier, it appears that the OP will not be successful in getting a court judgment against the owner for very much, certainly not the full vet fees.

quincy

Pets aside, as a few states are starting to adopt differing standards for pets, fair market value (FMV) of property is always a consideration when suing for damage to property. The basic rule is that you are entitled to the lesser of the FMV of the item just before it was damaged or the cost to repair it back to the condition it was right before it was damaged. Whether the item was completely destroyed or not doesn't change that. For example, suppose I have a chair that my neighbor breaks through negligence. The chair is not completely destroyed, it merely needs repair that will cost $50. Unfortuantely for me, that chair only has a thrift store (fair market) value of $25. Because my chair is only worth $25 — and thus I could go out and get a replacement for $25 — my maximum recovery from my negligent neighbor is $25. That's true even though I elect to pay $50 to have it repaired because I really liked that old chair. The fact that I had an attachment to that old chair is a noneconomic factor that does not get compensated for in my claim against the neighbor.

The classic common law rule is that animals (including pets) were treated as mere property and that same rule would apply. In the majority of states that still retain that rule, that means that there is little to gain from suing for death or injury to a pet since pets often have no market value — it is tough to even give away many pets particularly since one can get a pet at many shelters basically for free. Some states have started to change their rules for pets to recognize that they have value beyond being mere property, and in those states it may indeed be possible to sue for for more than just the FMV of pet; that is, it may be possible to get noneconomic damages for the loss or injury to a pet.

But it appears that Texas is not one of those states. In 2013 the Texas Supreme Court considered that very issue and elected to adhere to the long standing rule in the state — dating back to 1891 — that animals, including pets, are property and that the rule applied is that recovery is limited to FMV of the animal (if there was any value) or to any special economic value/benefit that the animal provided. Under that rule, the limit on recovery for most pets will be nominal; they have little market value and provide no particular economic benefit to their owners. But some pets, like some service animals, will allow for greater recovery because they do provide an economic benefit like allowing their owners to work, etc. Specifically the court said:

The “true rule” in Texas remains this: Where a dog's market value is unascertainable, the correct damages measure is the dog's “special or pecuniary value” (that is, its actual value)—the economic value derived from its “usefulness and services,” not value drawn from companionship or other non-commercial considerations.
We recognize that the benefit of most family dogs like Avery is not financial but relational, and springs entirely from the pet's closeness with its human companions. Measuring the worth of a beloved pet is unquestionably an emotional determination—what the animal means to you and your family—but measuring a pet's value is a legal determination. We are focused on the latter, and as a matter of law an owner's affection for a dog (or ferret, or parakeet, or tarantula) is not compensable.

Strickland v. Medlen, 397 S.W.3d 184, 192–93 (Tex. 2013). The Court stated that it was for the state Legislature to broaden this rule to allow for noneconomic damages for injury or loss of a pet. So far as I can tell from my search, the legislature has not yet done so.

So indeed, the FMV of the pet, and any economic value of the pet, are still important as that determines the maximum that can be recovered for injury to or death of a pet in Texas, as stated by the Texas Supreme Court above.
I read the Texas Court of Appeals case from 2013 but failed to notice that the Texas Supreme Court reversed that decision. Interesting.

Here is a link to Strickland v.Medlan:

https://www.animallaw.info/case/strickland-v-medlen

Last edited:

Eekamouse

Please Advise,
Your poor cat! I would have shot that dog on the spot but that's probably not the correct thing to do.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I read the Texas Court of Appeals case from 2013 but failed to notice that the Texas Supreme Court reversed that decision. Interesting.
Yep, the Court of Appeals was willing to the open the door to what could have lead to open ended noneconomic damages in pet cases, damages not allowed when suing for injury to humans, as the Supreme Court noted when it noted: "Strickland would find it odd if Texas law permitted damages for loss of a Saint Bernard but not for a brother Bernard." The Supreme Court was not willing to open that potential pandora's box in case law. I think the Court was correct that the legislature is the best place to craft a rule that allows noneconomic damages in these sorts of cases, with suitable limits to avoid outrageous results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">