• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pitt Bulls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I own land in North Carolina. I rent out 4 mobile home lots to tenants (they own the mobile homes). My brother also lives on the land, but is not a tenant.

Problem: He owns 5 pit bulls. If they bite someone, who is liable. Me the landowner or him the dog owner?

Also, since I have an insurable interest, will an insurance company allow me to get renters insurance on his mobile home to include liability coverage for dog bites.

He has lived on the property and owned the pit bulls for 3 years. They have never bitten anyone and are actually playful. But, you never know. I am now in the process of deeding the land he lives on over to him. That way he will be both the dog owner and landowner. I'd like to get insurance for 2 months until I can finish the land transfer process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">