• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Placed on unpaid leave pending investigation, but nothing is being done.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hunterman

Minnesota.

I work in a care facility. Two weeks ago I received a phone call from my supervisor stating that I was under investigation and not to report to work. I was told that the investigation was because a resident had made a complaint, but I was not given any further information. I was also told that they anticipated having the investigation completed within two or three workdays.

It's now been two weeks and my employer still has not completed the investigation. I contacted them today and was told the investigation was not finished.

I have lost two weeks of pay, which is going to be a hardship for me and my family. I am concerned that I will lose benefits like health and dental insurance because of this investigation because employees have to average a certain number of hours per week to be benefit eligible.

I am not concerned about the results of the investigation because I have not done anything wrong. I have not received anything in writing about being under investigation. I have not been questioned or interviewed by my employer about this investigation.

Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

Any advice on how to handle this situation would be appreciated.

adjusterjack

My take is, and has always been, that a suspension without pay is a termination or at least a layoff that would entitle you to unemployment compensation unless it was due to misconduct.

There are unscrupulous employers that use a suspension without pay to scam employees into not filing for unemployment compensation.

I suggest you file today. Benefits are not retroactive and you still have a one week waiting period.

There's no way to say whether you'll qualify. If the employer can make a misconduct claim stick, you won't. Otherwise you will.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Additionally, an unemployment claim may shake a bit more information loose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">