• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Placing an ad in the paper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Nita Answer

I was told by a friend of mine that her son was able to be adopted by her present husband after they placed an ad in the local paper stating that "X Child" would be adopted by "X Person" if the biological father did not contact her attorney by a certain date. Is this true? Can you really do that? If so what are the requirements to be able to do that?

I have a son from a previous marriage who's father has seen him only twice since Thanksgiving (both times either myself or my present husband took the child to his fathers house).
He constantly calls and says he'll be there and then never shows up. He leaves messages on the answering machine saying he'll be there and still doesn't come. In the past, he's shown up drunk to pick my son up (of course I didn't let him go). He's went 8 months before without seeing my son. he's lost his house, his car and has no phone. Basically, he is just a worthless drunk. My son doesn't want anything to do with him because of all the lies he has told him. I don't trust him to have him because I am so afraid that he'll get drunk and drive with him or pass out and not watch my son (also there is NO phone at the house for my son to use in case there was an emergency) I hate it that my child is going through this!! My present husband would be MORE THAN HAPPY to adopt my son but we don't know where to start. My ex does pay his support (only because it is garnished). (I didn't know if that fact that he does pay support had anything to do with it or not.)
Thanks in Advance for any advise I receive on this matter!!



Sorry, Nita. It ain't that easy!

The publication method is only able to be used when there is no way of knowing where the respondent is.

Have you documented all the drinking?


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential