• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plaintiff filed "nonsuit." What happens now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenlady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I was taken to court over a dentist bill from a dentist who never performed the work. The dentist who filed the claim was someone who took over the practice after my dentist retired, but he did none of the work for which I owe the money. He has also now resold the practice and moved out of state. At the original court date, the dentist's lawyer was unprepared with information about the terms of the sale of the practice as to whether or not the debt was bought with the practice or not, so the judge set a date for trial. I got a letter in the mail today saying the plaintiff had filed a nonsuit. I know that means they are dropping the case for right now but can refile at a later date, but my question is, what happens now? Do I, as the defendant, have any responsibilites to the court and do we still go to court on the previous date set or is that dropped?
I know VA has some different rules than other states, so I appreciate the help.

cosine

Have you received any communication from the court about the case being dismissed? If not, you could play nasty (just like lawyers like to do) and file a motion with the court asking for "dismissal with prejudice" (so they cannot file again). Probably won't happen, but maybe you get lucky.

greenlady

I have not gotten anything from the court yet. I don't know how long it would take them to send me correspondence. I just wanted to know if there was any paperwork I would need to send them in the meantime.

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">