• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plan administrator wants $ to distribute 401K?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cat13

Is it legal for my former office manager to demand that I pay her for her to do the paperwork required for my 401K funds to be rolled over into a new employer's 401K? She is claiming that the 3rd party administrator is wanting a fee to complete the transaction. I don't believe that - I think she's just holding a grude against me, as I know she intensly dislikes my leaving the firm. How can it be legal to charge a person a fee for them to receive their own money? If it matters, I'm a Utah resident.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What kind of fee are we talking about? And what does the plan document say?

cat13

the fee is only $50. I don't believe I have ever received any information re. the 3rd party administrator, who supposedly wants the money. Until today, I didn't even know there was one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, actually...

I wasn't asking for information about the administrator. I was asking what the 401k plan document says about distributions and whether it mentions the fee. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You probably were given a copy of the Summary Plan Description at the time you joined the plan. If not, or if you don't have it now, you are entitled to one, by law, on request. You'll need to ask HR for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">