• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plasma donation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mamabear1995

On May 18, 2019 I went to bio life plasma donation center to donate plasma for the fifth time. When they put the first IV and they had issues looking for my vein and as soon as the machine started to run I started to feel pain. I told one of the techs that something didn’t feel right and the machine stoped, she finally came over and looked at it and told me that she had to take it out. As she was taking it out I noticed that my arm began to swell. I told her I wanted the IV out and I did not want to continue. She persisted to say that she needed to re-insert the IV in the other arm to put my red blood cells back into me since the machine took out a lot. I told her I felt fine and it was OK but she did it anyway and she ended up getting a another tech to insert the IV because they could not find a vein on the other arm. That other tech Continue to try to find a vein and I guess she finally found one and went to put IV in, it took her a few minutes to put it in correctly and she put the tape on top of the IV and as soon as she continued to try to find a vein and I guess she finally found one and went to put IV in it took her a few minutes to put it in correctly and she put the tape on top of the IV and as soon as she went to take her hand off, her glove caught the tape and it moved that IV and instead of her trying to fix it she left it and I told her something didn’t feel right. Then they started the machine to put the red blood cells back in and I knew something wasn’t right because my arm started to hurt really bad so I called the tech over again and I told her that there is really bad pressure and my arm is hurting really bad. She told me it was normal because my veins are so small that it would be OK. After about a minute or two the pain became too much and I started yelling for the tech and she took her time to come over and I told her I couldn’t do this no more and she told me that she needed to put a saline solution in me. I told her whatever saline Solution was in me was fine but I wanted her to take it out now and I told her to take the blood pressure cuff off me because it was too tight. As soon as she took off the blood pressure cuff I noticed that my arm was very very swollen and I started to freak out. I went to the ER to get it checked out and I received a prednisones pill and pain medicine because I was not able to move my arm at all and it was so much pain that I was crying. This is the second day now after the incident in my arm is still very swollen and I still cannot move it and I am in very much pain still even with the pain medicine and now my arm is starting to bruise very badly. Is there steps I can take to get a compensation for negligence for them taking their time to check on me and not rechecking the IV after the one techs glove caught the tape?

adjusterjack

Is there steps I can take to get a compensation for negligence for them taking their time to check on me and not rechecking the IV after the one techs glove caught the tape?
Start by taking dated photos of the condition of your arms and go see your own doctor to maintain a contemporaneous daily record of the condition and the healing process.

You don't make a claim for compensation until you are fully recovered and can quantify your claim.

I suggest, however, that you first get whatever records that exist at the donation center and THEN put the owners on written notice about their bumbling employees and the condition they caused.

Once you've done that feel free to come back to this thread (don't open new ones) for additional discussion.

Just understand that if you recover in a couple of weeks with no residual detriment, your claim won't be worth much, but we can talk about that later.

FarmerJ

Back in the early 80s I too began to go to so called local plasma centers for the cash, the closest one was often very busy but I began to go to another as it had just re -opened after a fire and was living with the cost of paying clients for plasma they might have to destroy while waiting for licensing approval . ANY way One staff there Becky lived in the same area I did and she didn't have a problem getting the needles in and to work okay but others did and I began to have problems with infiltration at the needle site ( leakage under the skin like you had) After a few more times Becky was very candid with me that it wasn't my fault but some people are just poor needle sticks and shouldn't do it` I was one of them , she nicely told me it would be best If I just didn't donate any more ( No idea why they call it donating when you are PAID to let them take it) But anyway she said this way If I really needed to come back some day I could otherwise they could ban me from donating any more` I did learn that the agreements so called donors sign at before they ever begin your first plasmapheresis session does address the things that can go wrong and that includes the staff determining that a clients services are no longer needed be it client behavior or things outside of the clients control. SO I suggest you consider asking them for a copy of that agreement you signed to re read incase you have already forgotten its terms - conditions- rules. BTW now you know every time you go to have lab work done you should nicely ask for a phlebotomist who has been doing blood draws for a long time ( even though the needles are smaller than the ones used for plasmapheresis
it is likely you will be a poor needle stick the rest of your life) LOL and after all these decades I still recall my old number A000112 since I was the 112th customer after they re opened .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">