• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Playing Movies at a Restaurant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Feastingfox

What is the name of your state? Missouri
Do I need a license to show videos and movies at my restaurant for "theme" dinner events? I am charging guests for food and drink but not for viewing the movie. Can I advertise the title of the movie?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Feastingfox said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
Do I need a license to show videos and movies at my restaurant for "theme" dinner events? I am charging guests for food and drink but not for viewing the movie. Can I advertise the title of the movie?

My response:

Sure you can. You'll just be getting some unpaid guests coming to your theme dinner events - - like the heads of all the major motion picture studios, the actors, the production companies, the owners, the heirs to the Estates, and everyone else involved with the movies you show - - with their hands out wanting their "cut". Either that, or it's the slammer for you!

IAAL

JETX

Or, you can pay your customers to come to your location and force them to watch:
- Gigli
- Ishtar
- Dumb and Dumber
- Hudson Hawk
- From Justin to Kelly
- Glitter
- Its Pat
- Or any other movie made by a former 'star' of SNL.....

I doubt that ANYONE would come forward and ask for compensation for showing any of them!!

divgradcurl

"Or, you can pay your customers to come to your location and force them to watch:
- Gigli
- Ishtar
- Dumb and Dumber
- Hudson Hawk
- From Justin to Kelly
- Glitter
- Its Pat
- Or any other movie made by a former 'star' of SNL.....

I doubt that ANYONE would come forward and ask for compensation for showing any of them!!"

JETX, I respectfully disagree -- they'll come after them, because this may be the ONLY opportunity the studios will have to make ANY money on these dogs...

JETX

Ah, but you missed the most important part of my post.....
"Or, you can pay your customers to come to your location and force them to watch:"
The writer would have to PAY the customers... :D

F

Feastingfox

License to show videos

So, How do I obtain a license to show videos in my restauarant.?

H

hexeliebe

The same way the theatres do, by calling the Motion Picture Association in Los Angeles and licensing each movie.

HOWEVER, you are going to find it very cost-prohibitive unless you show nothing but 'artsey' or 'foreign' films.

HomeGuru

hexeliebe said:
The same way the theatres do, by calling the Motion Picture Association in Los Angeles and licensing each movie.

HOWEVER, you are going to find it very cost-prohibitive unless you show nothing but 'artsey' or 'foreign' films.

**A: or you can show the new crossover "fartsey" films.

H

hexeliebe

I tried going to one of those HG but they threw me out....care to guess why????

H

hexeliebe

I thought it was going to be like "Rocky Horror"...you know, participate?????

F

Feastingfox

Type of films

I only plan to show older videos, B&W ,etc. I don't need a license for foreign films?

HomeGuru

Re: Type of films

Feastingfox said:
I only plan to show older videos, B&W ,etc. I don't need a license for foreign films?
**A: not if you show old bootleg Kung Fu movies with English subtitles.

H

hexeliebe

I don't need a license for foreign films?
You are a disaster (and mega-lawsuit) waiting to happen. now, you tell me what is wrong with that statement above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">