• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea Offer sent to wrong person, can I get ticket dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abitron23

Hello, I am asking this on behalf of my husband. He is a NYS resident and received a speeding ticket in person. He sent in the ticket pleading guilty. He has received a response in the mail: the envelope is addressed to him with his address, but the information inside is for a different person's speeding ticket. They are offering this other person a plea due to covid to reduce court appearances (this guy was speeding but plead not guilty and they are reducing to a parking ticket for him). My husband called and left a message that he received the wrong person's information, as no one answered the phone. This other person likely received whatever my husband was supposed to receive in the mail. My question is: can this mix up be used in some way to help my husband out a bit? Or is this just a standard error that won't have any effect?

Just Blue

Hello, I am asking this on behalf of my husband. He is a NYS resident and received a speeding ticket in person. He sent in the ticket pleading guilty. He has received a response in the mail: the envelope is addressed to him with his address, but the information inside is for a different person's speeding ticket. They are offering this other person a plea due to covid to reduce court appearances (this guy was speeding but plead not guilty and they are reducing to a parking ticket for him). My husband called and left a message that he received the wrong person's information, as no one answered the phone. This other person likely received whatever my husband was supposed to receive in the mail. My question is: can this mix up be used in some way to help my husband out a bit? Or is this just a standard error that won't have any effect?
It's an error and will have no effect.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He is a NYS resident and received a speeding ticket in person...
There is no other way to receive one.

Chances are he will get the same plea offer as the motorist he received the mail for in error. He needs to contact the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">