• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleas help ASAP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica11480

Problem with landlord

On november 15, 2000 I moved into an apartment in Sacramento, CA. I signed a six month lease starting the day I moved in. Before I signed the lease, the landlord told me that he would replace the carpet, and put in a new dishwasher. I said that I would paint the apartment (my own supplies) and clean the apartment, with the agreement of no deposit. AFTER I signed the lease, the landlord informed me that he could not afford to put in new carpets, but he would steam them. Well, when I painted, I wasn't careful about the carpets because I was told they'd be replaced (there's paint on the carpets).
I was offered a job in Southern CA and informed my landlord on Dec 15 that I needed to break the lease. He told me that I needed to help him find a renter (which I agreed to) but if we didnt find a renter by Feb he'd have to hold me to my lease.
I dont think any one would rent the place in the condition it is in. The dishwaher was never put in; when you open the window, it doesn't stay open; and there's no fire alarm!! Is there anything I can do to legally break the lease?

L

LL

You rented it, didn't you?

Besides, now it is freshly painted and the carpets are being steamed.

Always be careful not to spill paint of the carpet.

Jessica11480

younglsm said:
You rented it, didn't you?

Besides, now it is freshly painted and the carpets are being steamed.

Always be careful not to spill paint of the carpet.

Paint doesn't come out of carpets....
Besides, now I have to move to another part of the state, and my landlord did not meet his end of the oral agreement. Now what do I do?

L

LL

Try a product call "Goof-Off" which is sold in professional paint stores. It works great on flat paint.

Otherwise, try brushing the carpet with a stiff brush (not a wire brush). Maybe the paint which has dried will flake off.

If you are leaving to move to another part of the state, what is the relevance of your claim that the landlord has broken some oral agreement?

Jessica11480

younglsm said:

If you are leaving to move to another part of the state, what is the relevance of your claim that the landlord has broken some oral agreement?
Well the point is that my landlord wont let me out of the lease. But if he didn't meet his end, am I still obligated to mine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">