• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please give me advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deeztwinz

What is the name of your state? maine

i was involved in a car accident tuesday. i was stopped at a stop sign,looked both ways, looked clear went to go and ended up hitting another car on the drivers side door. there appeared to be minimal damage. the only damage to my 91 honda civic was the front license plate came off. and from looking at the other car all i hit was the door.there was a small dent on the bottom of the door. the other car was a 95 buick. well at the time i thought i had car insurance. noone got hurt. the other driver is claiming i failed to stop at the stop sign. i have a witness stating i did stop. well to make a long story short. when i got home and got my mail i recieved a letter from my insurance co dating aug 30 stating that my car insurance was cancelled on july 29. so i had no insurance at the time of the accident. i was honest with the sheriffs office and called and told them that i did not have insurance. we also called the other driver and told them.

now the other driver is claiming there is $1800 worth of damage to her car she is claiming that i hit her front tire and her door and that she can not open and close her door(which worked fine at the scene of the accident) as a matter of fact her and her passanger were laughing at the scene.

i have a perfectly clean driving record. have never been involved in an accident where i was the driver.

on the other hand this other driver has numerous violations. including going thru a red light,2 counts of driving on the wrong side of the road,improper lane changes
and she has also had 2 previous accidents where she was again side swiped. one of which is still in the court and hasnt been closed yet.

i'm not sure what to do .
i havent gotten a summons yet from the cops for driving with out insurance and this is now friday. my husband and i even drove to the sheriffs office to find out whats going to happen.
please advice would be greatly appreciated.
we called the insurance co and they said that they cant renew the policy.
but we went right out and got insurance thru another co.
so we are fully insured now.
dee

D

deeztwinz

well over a month has gone by and i never got a ticket for no insurance but the insurance co is coming after me for almost $2000 in damages to the other persons car. when we last talked to these people they said they got 2 estimates one was for 1400 and one 1800. and they are claiming i damaged the whole front end. should i get a lawyer

Alex02

WHoa.. talk about chaning thier stories. Yea you shoulda get a free consoltation from a lawyer. People are crazy when it comes to money nowadays

D

deeztwinz

spoke to the insurance co today and they stated that the person only got 1 estimate with the highest priced person around who is also know to give cash back to the person after the insurance co pays to have it fixed.
i requested a copy of the estimate.

M

marollyn

I agree you should consult an attorney. He/she will be able to advise you of your rights and tell you the correct steps to take to be sure of a fair outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">