• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE help ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dacsgood

Alabama

My husband and I are filing a Chapter 13, but we want to file a Chapter 7. The lawyer says that if we do we will have to give up one of our vehicles. One of them is paid for and we probably couldn't give it away, it doesn't run and isn't worth much, the other one has a balance of about $1400 but isn't worth that either. Why would we have to give up a car(I would gladly give up the one that doesn't run)? And why can't we file a Chapter 7? I thought it was our decision whether we filed a Chapter 7 or 13. I'm not a very aggressive person, but this is 5 yrs. of payments that we cannot afford, and I have told the lawyer that, and it is obvious in our budget that we can't afford the payments.
Thank you.

Alicia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">