• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, christmas fund, and bonus money withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Do i have any grounds to take to small claims court?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scolabird

I was a car salesman at a Toyota dealership in Florida for the last year. I have recently resigned(2weeks notice) and some pay is being held back. I was hired on full time being paid min. Wage for every hour i worked. As most dealerships do they took back that min.wage for hours worked, after I made enough in sales to cover the amount. According to this logic they never actually paid me the min. Wage, as they always took it back? Because technically i was a commision sales man. Now Question A.) If I truly earned (sold) less than minimum wage the last month I was employed could those last month wages be withheld from Me? Is the employer required by law to pay at least min wage x hours worked?

Part 2 of my dilemma...
The company had an optional Christmas fund that took a % of every car sale I made and put it in an untouchable savings account. The agreement stated that % of money was my money and they would simply match dollar for dollar at the end of the year and pay my amount saved, plus their match back to me at year end as a Christmas "bonus. Well when I resigned i was advised that I forfeited my % saved toward Christmas bonus because I was in the "commission draw" Now I understand not getting their "company match amount" but can they simply keep monoes that i had set aside?

Lastly part of our pay plan like many car dealers involved a loadable pre paid credit card in which between $50 and $500 was paid to a salesman for each car sold (above and beyond commisons on a weekly paycheck). I sold a car 2 weeks prior to leaving and when questioned about the bonus Toyota corporate said they can't pay me because the dealership listed me as terminated. The dealership management say they have no control over it and I have to return to corporate for help. As you can tell there is a lot of nonsense goin on and I wonder do I have any grounds in small claims court to simply get paid what I am owed? I'm not seeking pain and suffering, or emotional stress or any other nonsense lawsuit, I simply want my pay checks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you say, pay is being held back, what exactly do you mean? I have seen that exact description used to describe several different scenarios, and at least some of them are legal. Florida is one of the few states that does not have a drop-dead date for final pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">