• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help i am a benificiary of a life insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joecaldis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tx
hi all! i was named as one of 3 beneficiarys to a life insurance policy that is considered a large sum amount. At first when we called in the claim they advised us 5 to 10 buisness days for processing. then we hit a speedbump when they adv that it has gone to legal dept because of a couple changes my father had requested during his death. we all saw the changes which were changing my stepmoms last name to her maiden name to avoid issues but they havent processed the claim now for 20 buisness days and every time we call they tell us it should take anywhere from a week to 2 months. every one has a different story! has anyone gone through anything similar or know what to do? are we just being distrusting of a huge insurance company by worrying or should we look into taking legal action after a certain date?

Dandy Don

Why would your father ask for a change for the stepmother's last name to her maiden name? Have you all seen a copy of the actual form he used to make the "changes" to make sure it was signed only by him and not signed by someone else on his behalf? Has the stepmother been contacted by the insurance company about his matter or has she called them to find out what is going and to prove her identity? Were there any other changes made besides the name change?

You don't have much to worry about except that they haven't given a CLEAR, SPECIFIC reason as to the delay. You can wait a little while longer to see what their position is or you can hire an attorney who specializes in "bad faith insurance" cases or knows how to do "interpleader actions" with insurance companies, just in case the insurance company decides to let the courts decide who is supposed to get paid.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">