• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help I don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattythorn

What is the name of your state? MI

I don't know what to do. My son who just turned 18 this past summer asked me(his mother) if he could have a few friends over to celebrate his birthday. I agreed, even though I was not going to be there, as I had to work. I had just recently lost my husband(several months prior due to an instant heart attack).

Well, somehow the word spread about a party at my house. So, lots of kids showed up. This 21 year old kid showed up at the party(he was not invited) drunker than a skunk. He started a bunch of crap with my son and his friend's and all the other people that were not invited to my son's birthday celebration at our house. He instigated a fight with other people there, and ultimately got the crap beat out of him for his beligerance(sp). He ended up in the hospital and had to have plastic surgery on his face. After the fact, it was discovered that he had been kicked out of several bars prior to him showing up at my house.

Now, I am being sued by this kid that got the crap kicked out of him. First of all he was on my property, and not invited, and secondly the other kid's at my son's birthday party(who were also not invited are the one's that caused his injuries)

Why am I being sued and what can I do? I was not even there. I was working. Please help! I don't have money for an attorney at this time. My husband was 52 years old, and died of an instant heart attack while riding his dirt-bike. I have two kids to raise without a father.

acmb05

Just because you were not home

Does not make you any less responsible. He was on your property whether invited or not and your son should have called the police immediately when he showed up.

badapple40

Sounds like it may be a case where there may be an appropriate justification defense (self defense/defense of others/defense of property).

You might want to go to legal aid if you cannot afford an attorney and get some help.

You Are Guilty

badapple40 said:
Sounds like it may be a case where there may be an appropriate justification defense (self defense/defense of others/defense of property).

You might want to go to legal aid if you cannot afford an attorney and get some help.
Does legal aid even take civil cases? If not, call your local Bar Association and ask for referrals to pro bono/low cost attorneys.

acmb05

No they do not

You Are Guilty said:
Does legal aid even take civil cases? If not, call your local Bar Association and ask for referrals to pro bono/low cost attorneys.
They give you a list of Lawyers in your area who do pro-bono and very low cost legal assistance. Also lawyers who will work on a contingency fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">