• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!! Kids Missing and I'm so worried!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lost in Emotion

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My ex husband was living in Ill. I live in Nevada. The kids were with him in Ill. I got the divorce here in nevada but since the kids didnt live here no custody was ever given. Our divorce papers say- courts have no jurisdiction. Last thursday night I called to talk to them and my ex's family (whom he was staying with) told me they had a fight and he packed up everything and and left with the kids. Nobody would tell me where they went and they hung up on me. The following morning I had the police go out there and his family said he was moving to california. its now saturday and I still havent heard a word from them. I am beyond worried....he does not know anyone in california so I have no idea where he would take the boys. I know he could never get an apartment cause his credit is so bad. I am so worried. What should I do next. I need to know if my boys are safe but I dont know what to do or who to call. Remember, nobody has legal custody of them. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robin

kidoday

Take a deep breath and relax.

Someone has to have legal custody of the boys or he wouldn't have them in his custody in Illinois to begin with since the divorce was in Nevada. We really need more information regarding how your divorce decree actually reads concerning custody. Type word for word where it says in your divorce papers that "courts have no jurisdiction". The whole paragraph will help immensely in trying to help you.

There are many on this board that can help you, but you need to give a little more information.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kidoday said:
Take a deep breath and relax.

Someone has to have legal custody of the boys or he wouldn't have them in his custody in Illinois to begin with since the divorce was in Nevada. We really need more information regarding how your divorce decree actually reads concerning custody. Type word for word where it says in your divorce papers that "courts have no jurisdiction". The whole paragraph will help immensely in trying to help you.

There are many on this board that can help you, but you need to give a little more information.

My response:

I already responded to this writer in her duplicate post.

It doesn't matter what her Nevada divorce decree states about the children. The simple fact of the matter is that Nevada never had jurisdiction over her ex, or the children. There is no custody order. The Nevada court was required to refuse hearing that portion of the divorce.

IAAL

L

Lost in Emotion

I agreed to let the kids stay with him because they are 16 and 13 year old boys who didnt want to leave there friends! He was in Ill and I moved to nevada to take care of my dying mother. (i now know it wasnt a good idea-i didnt realize this would happen) I ended up filing for divorce here in nevada representing myself. I put in the paperwork about getting custody. I had him served and he defaulted. When it came time for the judge to sign the decree they kicked back saying I couldnt put custody issues in because the kids never lived in nevada. I refiled an ammended petition and had him reserved which he also ignored and defaulted. When I went in front of the judge for my divorce he said he would grant the divorce but no custody since the kids never lived here. He granted the divorce but told me no body had legal custody of the kids. There wasnt even visitation ordered. word for word I had to write on the decee

"The courts have no jurisdiction for custody or visitation issues because children reside in Ill."

He also has never filed for custody in Ill. And now.........well, read the first post and that will tell you what has happened. My ex has never been thrilled with the divorce but when I talked to him last week he seemed friendly. We discussed the boys coming out here for summer break, even told me it was good to talk to me again. I have called the boys every single day they have been apart including sending money clothes and presents. I have not ignored my boys. I am so worried now. I dont want to get my ex in trouble but I NEED to know where my boys are and that they are safe!!! Please help!!!!!

L

Lost in Emotion

ok- so i called the police in Ill and explain the situation- FINALLY his family tells the police he moved to California. So then I decide to call his old job (its a grocery store and his sister works in a different dept) and ask to speak with him without telling them who I am. The guy there says he doesnt work there. I act surprised and say "really?!?! do you know where he went?" The guy says, "san diego" he then asks if i want to be transferred to his sister. I hung up.

I also decided that I will start with sending certified letters to his old address to him, his sister, and his brother. I will, in a extremely nice way, ask for the address so i can know my kids are safe. That way when i get an attorney, i can at least show i was trying to find out where my boys are and nobody would answer. does that sound like a good idea??? everyone else says i should file in Ill now for custody because he obviously wont travel all the way back for a hearing but the kids are still legal residence of that state.

I am so sad. I have never gone this long without talking to my boys. all i want is to know they are safe and warm.

Robin~

B

BARbd

side issue

-just a hindsight suggestion, but if you open your door and he's on the step, I wouldn't assume he's read your responsible and sincere posted efforts-or that he's the 'same'dad you LEFT the kids WITH ! SOMEthing's up!

Do you know his ss#? If so, go to this site.

http://casebreakers.com/

It cost me $10 to get a current address and phone number when my ex moved. It was only a short time after he moved also. If he applies for an apartment or credit or anything to do with his credit, they will update his address on his credit file.

Do you know if he has friends in SD? Does he have ANY family in SD? Could you find out if he transferred to a grocery store (in SD)within the same company?

I have other ideas that I won't post here but you can email me.
[email protected]

Ambr

Just a thought, but I am assuming that the kids were in school? Have you tried to send a request to the school to get a copy of their school records?

He would have to enroll the kids in school wherever he ends up. The old school should have a request letter, requesting their files to be transfered to the new school. You should be able to access that information rather easily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">