• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help, Landlord entered without notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j6nguyen

What is the name of your state?
California

Hi, I am looking for some advice. My landlord entered our house without notice. During this time, someone else entered the house and went into my roommate's room and stole some blank checks. One of the checks was cashed at a "Quick Cash" location. My roommate found out about it when he saw his bank account had decreased without him spending any money. The police are still investigating the matter. Can a landlord entering the premesis be just cause for terminating a lease? We signed the lease in August. And this happened a week later. We have already paid August and September rent. With out September rent, we sent a notice to the property managers saying we would vacate in 30 days. The property managers do not feel that the owner entering the premesis without permission is a good enough reason to break the lease. Can anyone please give me some advice? Thank you in advance!

Who's Liable?

NO... this is not a good enough reason to terminate a lease...

The LL/T laws only state that a LL must give proper notice to enter the apartment...

Your roommate could look into suing the management for negligence, but that is all you will be able to do...

BL

If the LL enters again without Proper Notice or it is an Emergency , Call the Police .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">