• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashamed

I really need some help. I live in Oregon and was caught shoplifting. I am a mother of 3 and have never been in trouble a day in my life. I don't know why it happened, but it happened. I have to go to court on May 1st and don't know what to expect. Will this go on my record permanently? I am so ashamed I haven't told anyone. Do I need an attorney? Like I said this is my first and last offense. Any suggestions?? Thanks for taking time to help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashamed:
I really need some help. I live in Oregon and was caught shoplifting. I am a mother of 3 and have never been in trouble a day in my life. I don't know why it happened, but it happened. I have to go to court on May 1st and don't know what to expect. Will this go on my record permanently? I am so ashamed I haven't told anyone. Do I need an attorney? Like I said this is my first and last offense. Any suggestions?? Thanks for taking time to help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sometimes, we all go a little nuts. There's no explanation, and we do things that we normally would never do. It happens. It's not an accident, mind you - - it's like a "synapse" problem. Anyway, it all depends on the value of the item you stole. So, the following will be premised that you have been charged with petty theft, or petty larceny.

If this is your first offense, it is 99.99% sure you'll not do any jail time. You will have to make restitution (if the item wasn't already returned), you'll be fined, and you'll spend some quality time with some nice people picking up trash in, what is lovingly called, "Community Service." The judge could give you anywhere from 25 to 100 hours of that. While this is a serious matter, it is not a Federal Case either. If you are guilty, then plead that. This is really very "proforma" for the courts and an attorney is not really necessary. You're not going to Sing-Sing or Alcatraz Island. You'll be in and out of court in a matter of minutes. Heck, you'll be waiting longer for your turn in front of the judge, than your case will take to hear. Bring a friend with you for moral support.

Good luck. And don't ever do that again !!

IAAL

P.S. Yes, it will be on your permanent record.

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 09, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">