• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help need advise @ apartment company!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pip111579

Please help need advice @ apartment company!!!

What is the name of your state?
NC
I recently had a major leak from a hot water heater from the apartment above me. There really wasn't much damage to my furniture, just mainly clothes. But I was wondering if anyone knew if I could sue, over the smell and hassle of having to deal with having maintenance people in and out of my apartment. Also having half of my carpet torn up and fans all over the place trying to dry things out. The management offered no compensation and didn't seem to care. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or has been in the same situation? Any advise will be helpful and thank you!

Last edited:

racer72

When you sent a letter to the apartment management asking for compensation, what was the reply? Or maybe read your rental or lease agreement, disruptions due to situations such as your may be addressed.

JETX

pip111579 said:
But I was wondering if anyone knew if I could sue, over the smell and hassle of having to deal with having maintenance people in and out of my apartment. Also having half of my carpet torn up and fans all over the place trying to dry things out. The management offered no compensation and didn't seem to care.
You can certainly sue them. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.
However, you cannot sue over 'smell and hassle'. You would have to have REAL actual damages..... of which, your post says nothing.
Oh, and you would also have to prove that they were LIABLE due to THEIR negligence or malice. Again, missing.

Finally, file a claim with YOUR renter insurance for any damages you incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">