• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, nobody else will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epsilondelta

What is the name of your state? Washington

I'm currently awaiting my arraignment on October 8th, monday morning at 9am. I haven't scheduled a public defender yet, I wish I could but I've got my reasons, I'd rather not go into them. The charge is second degree identity theft. I turned myself in on the case when it was opened, gave the stuff I'd bought with a stolen credit card back to the police (what I had left), and wasn't booked or anything. This was about 4 months ago, I received my paper for arraignment in the mail, and it's for October 8th. My question is, if I plead not guilty at the arraignment, though I do feel guilty and almost want too, will they set my court date at a later time and let me go free? I've only had one failure to appear, and I only have one count of Theft 3 on my record. I honestly don't know what I should plea, I'm so scared, is there anyone who could give me some advie? Please! If I go to jail with bail set on Monday, I'll lose my newly aquired perfect job and my place of living!

FlyingRon

My question is, if I plead not guilty at the arraignment, though I do feel guilty and almost want too, will they set my court date at a later time and let me go free?
Either pay for a lawyer, or use the PD. If you are willing to pay for a lawyer, one can probably answer the question of how the arraignment is going to go over the phone.

I don't know Washington, but if they haven't bothered to pick you up prior to the arraignment, I suspect that all they'll do is set the date for the next appearance.

Get out the phone book (or it's internet equivalent) and look up the local bar association in whatever county you are being prosecuted by and ask them for a referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">