• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Out...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jloo

What is the name of your state?

My friend recently sold a laptop through amazon and I was given the responsibility of shipping the item. I stupidly did so without using any form of delivery confirmation like I should have and the buyer is claiming that he hasn't received it and wants a refund and kept persisting that we gave him a tracking number or delivery confirmation number which raised our suspicions because that was the first thing he asked for and when we didn't have one, he kept harassing us saying he didn't receive it.

I am wondering what is the right thing to do. I am in college, my friend just graduated and we can't exactly afford losing a computer and reimbursing the buyer another 450 dollars!!!

Please Help!!

pojo2

Why should he not want those 2 items so he can track down his purchase?

You are being accusatory but how does he know you ever really sent out the item, you have no proof?

jloo

I think at this point, we are both being accusatory of each other... but that's besides the point

I just don't know how to proceed with matters. Should we wait until the package arrives? how long? how often do things really get lost in the mail? I have shipped many items of lesser cost without delivery confirmation and they have always arrived... how do we settle this matter? some concrete advise would be helpful.

dallas702

You don't need delivery confirmation to verify delivery. The carrier can easily investigate and ask the delivery person. If the delivery person isn't a thief (who knows that a missing confirmation form might mean an opportunity to steal and get away with it) he/she can still "verify" delivery. If you didn't purchase any insurance you probably won't get reimbursed (also pretty stupid), but at least you can find out IF the buyer actually got the item (or that it was at least delivered to the address).

pojo2

That might work in an area where 2 packages were delivered a year, to one address, where one postal carrier has worked for 50 years, in a town with one stoplight just before you get to Berta Mae's house, just across the street from Sally Sue.

But I doubt if many can or want to remember what they did or did not deliver 4 or 5 weeks ago. But I guess it is worth a try.

Of course it would be the same thing if said seller can go to the post office and find the clerk, with a memory of iron, that can remember him/her mailing out the package!

dallas702

I live in a city of 1.5mm+ and my USPS carrier knows every pkg. she delivers.

Every time I have had to track down the delivery of a pkg through UPS or FedEx they have gone straight to the delivery person, and have always given me an answer. Each delivery person knows their route very well, and they are pretty good at remembering specific deliveries because it covers their rears in case of those creeps that like to claim they never got pkgs that were delivered.

It's certainly worth a try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">