• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! probation search violates wifes rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

micshelle

hi,i'm looking for some information on my rights being violated during a random probation search done at my home. My husband has been on probation for 2 years now for a domestic violence charge. The search specifies his residence can be searched for firarms only. Anyway,they came in when he wasn't home early one morning. I being his wife understood they had right to search. They asked where the bedroom was and 3 officers proceeded to search the bedroom.They asked me if he does any drugs,and I told them yes...he smokes pot,and has a licsence to do so for medicinal use. They seen the pipes,papers,and weed boxes,but no weed was to be found. I stayed in the kitchen and they came out with a locked briefcase. I told them it was mine,and he does not go in there. They asked me again what was in it and I told them it was sex toys. I told them numerous times there is nothing in there,and it was mine and not his. They said ok,and proceeded back to the bedroom. On the way to the room the one officer holding the briefcase yelled out to me to give him the combination,'cause he needs to look to make sure. I didn't know my rights,or if I had any. So they looked in there,touched everything,and found nothing.They looked through all my draweres,looked thruogh my pictures,(private ones) my husband and I took of ourselves. Anyway,my question is were my rights violated? and did they have right to look in my locked briefcase? I called the sargent the following day and he apologized and sympathized with me. But I am still very upset and would like to know if my rights were lawfully violated and do I have reason,and cause to file suit? This has embarressed and shamed me. Please help....any advice would be greatly appreciated.This took place in california.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">