• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Quick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anna hardina

What is the name of your state Il

Under Illinois law, here is the issue.

Here, the defendant is the owner of a model home, which had a stairway in it. The stairway was covered with transparent tape to keep it clean when customers came through. Plaintiff , a customer, tripped on the tape since it curled over. The question is which jury instruction is the Plaintiff entitled to, general negligence or premises liability? Our position is that general negligence law applies because the tape is not a permanent part of the structure and is not the "premise", but rather the conduct of the defendant that is in issue. The defendant argues that the more stringent premises liability jury instruction (or premises liability law applies.) since it is the premise that is being criticized.

Which one applies and what is your supporting case law.

Clifford Horwitz
state? :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

anna hardina said:
What is the name of your state Il

Under Illinois law, here is the issue.

Here, the defendant is the owner of a model home, which had a stairway in it. The stairway was covered with transparent tape to keep it clean when customers came through. Plaintiff , a customer, tripped on the tape since it curled over. The question is which jury instruction is the Plaintiff entitled to, general negligence or premises liability? Our position is that general negligence law applies because the tape is not a permanent part of the structure and is not the "premise", but rather the conduct of the defendant that is in issue. The defendant argues that the more stringent premises liability jury instruction (or premises liability law applies.) since it is the premise that is being criticized.

Which one applies and what is your supporting case law.

Clifford Horwitz
state? :rolleyes:

**A: in my opinion, both apply.

A

anna hardina

HELP// HOMEOWNER

I need to no why both apply.. Anna

HomeGuru

Re: HELP// HOMEOWNER

anna hardina said:
I need to no why both apply.. Anna

**A: wait a minute, I though i was talking to Clifford Horwitz?
And the phrase is need to know, not need to no.
Anyway, please state if you are the P or D, what the injuries were, if the owner filed a claim against his liability insurance etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">