• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help the procedures in court, thank you.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A friend of mine will have a master hearing for political asylum next week. He wants to go to the hearing himself without an attorney. The reason is a.) he can not afford an attorney financially at the moment; b.) even he has money for an attorney, he wants to look for another one. He says he needs more time to look for or get a referral from friends. So he wants me together with him to go to the court because I can speak some English. I am happy to provide some help as I can.

The question is I don't know the court procedures, I don't want to do something wrong for him. In one word. How can I help him at the court date. He just wants to reschedule his master hearing. Also he wonders whether his attorney already provided all his supplemental paper to the court in his last individual hearing, whether or not he should provides another sets of paper next week?

We really appreciate for your kind advise and instructions. Thank you.

Proserpina

Does he actually have an attorney already?

Regardless, you might actually be fairly limited in what you can and cannot do to help your friend, such as acting as a translator during the interviews (and depending on the local rules you might not be allowed to do even that - some jurisdictions require that a translator is pre-screened and approved).

One thing you can do though is try to find a local pro bono or legal aid service familiar with US Immigration and Asylum laws and regulations.

This might be a good place to start: Pro Bono Directory - California

Another source: California Immigration Lawyer, Legal Aid & Services Profiles - CA Attorneys & Law Firms - Justia Lawyer Directory

Because the case is so close he might be best advised to go ahead and try to reschedule the hearing. Many asylum cases are denied because the applicant cannot present his case effectively when it's critical to do so. It's imperative that he becomes familiar with what will happen during the hearing or interview.

This leaflet may also offer some tips and advice: Information Guide For Prospective Asylum Applicants

peterlee

Your advice is great.

I and my friend thank you very much for your great concern to my question. I checked the Immigration Court site and found that the court will any provide any language interpreter, they are certified. He will ask for rescheduling the hearing next week.

Thank you again. God bless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">