• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HOLLINS1977

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I lived with my boyfriend we have a 6 month old son. My son has his last name. My job wants to relocate me to another state I want to take my son but his father doesnt want him going. If I just leave and take him would that be consider kidnapping? Please help time is running out!!!!!!! :confused:

P

psfunkytek

Unmarried Fathers must estabilsh paternity

In almost every state, an unmarried father has NO parental rights until paternity has been established either through a "declaration of paternity" signed at birth (some states will not allow an unmarried father on the birth certificate without DOP) or a paternity action filed in court.

I believe he can file a paternity action any time if he chooses too, but I don't know he can ever FORCE you to take a paternity test. I do believe that in most states now if you ever need to file for pubilc aid (welfare) the state will then initiate a "paternity action" and they can deny you aid if you don't comply/cooperate with them in identification and location of the natural the father.

Hopefully you'll find someone with state specific knowledge, but I hope this helps.

Y

youdontknowme

psfunkytek said:
I believe he can file a paternity action any time if he chooses too, but I don't know he can ever FORCE you to take a paternity test.
You bet he can! All he has to do is file an order for Establishment of Paternity.

NotSoNew

if there are no current CO or AOP then alls he has to do is run down to court to file for visitation/cusotdy and you need the courts permission to leave the state.......

HOLLINS1977

He Just Signed The Paper At Birth Saying This Was His Child I Guess It Was Declaration Of Paternity. Im Not Dening Him Vistation I Even Ask Him To Move Too But He Doesn't Want To Go.

LdiJ

HOLLINS1977 said:
YES HE SIGNED THE PAPER AT THE HOSPITAL
Then yes, he can attempt to stop you from moving with the child. It would be wisest to establish custody and visitation in court, and obtain court permission to move, before attempting a move.

HOLLINS1977

LdiJ said:
Then yes, he can attempt to stop you from moving with the child. It would be wisest to establish custody and visitation in court, and obtain court permission to move, before attempting a move.
thanks for the advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">