• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apoppe

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. My mothers boyfriend of 27 yrs passed away recently. He didn't have a will. However, she was beneficiary on his 401K and life insurance. The property and all his belongings need to go through probate. He has no children. The only surviving family members are his brother and sister. What rights does my mother have as to the home they have lived in for 10yrs together and the belongings in it? She was not on title to the home. Also can they contest her being being beneficiary on the 401K and life insurance?

BelizeBreeze

apoppe said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. My mothers boyfriend of 27 yrs passed away recently. He didn't have a will. However, she was beneficiary on his 401K and life insurance. The property and all his belongings need to go through probate. He has no children. The only surviving family members are his brother and sister. What rights does my mother have as to the home they have lived in for 10yrs together and the belongings in it? She was not on title to the home. Also can they contest her being being beneficiary on the 401K and life insurance?
She has no rights to the home. The life insurance passes outside of probate and is hers. As to the 401K I'm not sure.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

apoppe said:

My response:

What are the family members doing to, or saying to, her? Be specific. She has no rights to the home. She was merely a renter. As for the personal property, what's going on?

Lastly, yes they can contest her eligibility to the 401K and the insurance; but, they need proper legal grounds. So, what are the grounds?

IAAL

apoppe

The family members have contacted a lawyer. The laywer came to the house and took pictures of everything in it. To include everything that is hers. They had told her a first that she didn't have anything to worry about and the house would be hers. As for everything that she was beneficiary on they stated that she didn't have to worry. Now that they have gone behind her back and got a lawyer she is worried that they will contest everything. What will happen to her personal effects?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

What are the family members doing to, or saying to, her? Be specific. She has no rights to the home. She was merely a renter. As for the personal property, what's going on?

Lastly, yes they can contest her eligibility to the 401K and the insurance; but, they need proper legal grounds. So, what are the grounds?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

When the attorney contacts her, then come back. Right now, I'm not in the mood to deal with "what if" or high emotions.

Write back when you have something to write about.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">