• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

My parents passed away 2 yrs ago and one of my brothers took charge of everything. There was no will. So he was in charge of everyhthing that had to be done. Well here we are 2 yrs later and nothing has been done with my parents house or their vehicles. My question is: Is there a way that either myself or my 2 other brothers can get control of the estate. The one who has control now is supposedly in a deep depression and will not talk to anyone in the family. I need help finding out what to do before the state steps in and takes everything.
Last edited:


Senior Member
Go down to your local courthouse (or look online) and open up probate on your parent's estate (or use whatever informal probate procedures that may be applicable in your particular case).

Dandy Don

Senior Member
You might find North Carolina probate law at www.findlaw.com and then click on the "States" link to find North Carolina, but this is not something you should be doing yourself except for just to find information.

You are eventually going to have to hire a probate attorney to get probate done, simply because there is a real estate matter involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential