• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

my mother and father both passed away over twenty years ago. they both died of cancer.
my father worked in the Steel Mill for many years. It was said that they'd both died from asbestos relating to my father working in the Steel Mill. My mother died in 1986 at age 51, and she left my aunt to be power of attorney over her and her husbands estate. there was a lawsuit against the Steel Mill company following their deaths and there was said to be alot of money involved, yet we have no idea what's going on. my aunt has been keeping myself and my brothers and sisters in the dark for years about whether or not their illness was a direct result in my father working in the Steel Mill. sometimes she won't even accept our calls or she brushes us off when we try to ask her any questions. for years neither her nor her husband has worked and their own children have been really well off and i'm wondering if they have been living off of money that belongs to mother and fathers children. what are our rights? do we have a right to look at any documents, like the power of attorney documents or my mother and father's medical records? we haven't been able to lay our eyes onto one single document .she's been leaving us out in the cold for years, even moving away from the family so that we can't visit her.
i'm very suspicious of her motives. does my family have any rights?
please help us!

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Look at their probate files and see how the estate was handled and who the executor was. Executor has the authority to handle and distribute the settlement money. Aunt may have deliberately chosen not to file a will so that she could keep this money for herself. Your attorney can look into how the settlement was handled to determine if there is anything you can do now to claim your share of it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dandy Don

Senior Member
I'm worried that a statute of limitations may apply and you may not be able to do anything as far as probate actions are concerned, but if this settlement money was handled outside of probate court then if you can prove that you should have been paid monies as a legal heir, you still might be able to bring charges against her. A business law attorney should be able to advise you what you can do according to state law.

Why did you wait so long to look into this?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential