• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NH

Facts:

Landlord wants payment in cash and he picks up at our residence. We have no address, or drop off box for rent payments so must wait on him to show up.

Usually he shows up on the first weekend of the month. We called him this past weekend in an attempt to find out when he was showing up got no answer.

Yesterday shows up unannounced and as my DH was not at home, and I didn't have the money on me (he was gone for a short time), I told him that he would probably need to come back later or today to pick it up as I didn't have it, DH did and would be here today. He agreed.

Before he left last night however, he (the landlord) interrogated me. Where is he? Does he even still live here? I want a number to reach him now. Are you pregnant? on and on and on.....

Today: I hear a loud slam on my door. I got up went to the door and no one was there but he left a notice to quit for August 15th. He now wants late fees of 25.00, 15.00 fee allowed by law and the rent money by the 15th.

I have paid him late fee's for HIS being late in the past showing up because he insisted that I had too.

What if any recourse do I have in this situation? I am thinking its best just to get the heck outta here and away from the crazy landlord but....I want to make sure in doing so Im not facing any other problems.

Thanks!

P.S its a month to month tenancy at this point. If he just wanted us to move all he'd have to do is provide notice correct?

Hot Topic

You should have had the rent money in a place where it was accessible to your DH if you were out and vice versa whenever the landlord showed up. You knew you had to pay. I hope you or the DH got a receipt from him when he picked the rent money.

Did you get a legal document or just a notice he handwrote or did up on his computer ordering you to pay or leave?

What date is your rent actually due on?

Here lets see if this helps any! LOL (I'm try to keep this simple really but its complicated and hard to do).

Rent is due on the first and would be prompt but he insists on only picking it up. No one in the building has a mailing address.

LL doesn't give us an address to mail him the rent, or drop it off. He comes here to pick it up. Problem with that is he never comes at the same time each month. Its random.

He threatened last month to call the cell phone and the house after 2am because he didn't show up when he stated he would, and we had informed him that we had plans for 2 Sunday's straight. We let him know so he knew we wouldn't be home. (He was informed this several times). Apparently I have to sit and wait all week/weekend for him? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

He didn't show on Saturday despite our calls to him on the 1st or on the 8th or on the 15th. He never showed any other time but wanted to come on the Sunday's he knew (reasonably should have know he was told at least 3 times) we weren't gonna be home. He then called the cell phone playing 20 questions....

Where are you?
Why aren't you home?
Well can you get here in 15 minutes?
When will you be there?

Seriously since my pregnancy has started showing THIS is what I have dealt with from the guy. Up until then he had his moments but not anything like this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">