• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navylilley84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio. My father died recently and had no will. He had a life insurance plan that he last updated in 1994. At that time my father named my step mother and aunt the benificiaries because my brother and I were not 18. Since then my dad has been divorced to his ex wife but my aunts name still remains on the list of benificiaries. Now that my brother and I are of age is there anything that we can do to stop my dads life insurance money from going to my aunt since my brother and I are the next of kin?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated,

MichaelWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

Is the stepmother also the ex-wife?

Does he have other assets besides the life insurance policy that are being probated in probate court without the will?

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio. My father died recently and had no will. He had a life insurance plan that he last updated in 1994. At that time my father named my step mother and aunt the benificiaries because my brother and I were not 18. Since then my dad has been divorced to his ex wife but my aunts name still remains on the list of benificiaries. Now that my brother and I are of age is there anything that we can do to stop my dads life insurance money from going to my aunt since my brother and I are the next of kin?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated,

MichaelWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It sounds like nothing can be done. Your father could have named you as beneficiaries of the policy within the last few years, even as minors, with most insurance agencies.

You may be able to do something through probate; I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the process, and others here could better answer that. But as far as the insurance agency is concerned, you have no legal right to this money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">