• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Tennessee. I was married for 20 years.During my marriage my husband and I had a life insurance policy the last 15 years,and since my husbands questionable death last month,I had been paying the monthly payments.My husband and I divorced 2 years ago,but remained close for our 2 children, ages 13 and 19. I divorced because my husband was doing drugs,and delusional, and was baker acted several times. The divorce decree required my husband to keep the policy in place too. My ex-father in law who's a millionaire,changed the beneficiary to himself, put liens on our 2 homes,and now I'm homeless,and taking care of my children, one being in college.4 years ago my ex father in law was caught by our bank forging my ex husbands name to put 200k in accounts we didn't know about. I have all the documents needed to prove everything I'm saying. My father in law is wealthy, and said that no one will touch him or challenge him. His ex wife even said that he probably had something to do with my ex husbands death. My husband couldn't have put a arrow in his heart 5 inches deep. No forced entry,and even sheriff's department is treating it questionable death. I desperately need legal help. I will pay whatever is required, but it's exactly how I said it happened.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
So sorry that you have to deal with such a tragic situation.

You should start contacting and interviewing with business law attorneys or civil law attorneys in your area (specifically, attorneys who have experience with suing insurance companies, and they should be able to cite you a few cases to prove it).

If the ex-father in law got your ex-husband to give him power of attorney, then the father-in-law's using that document to change the beneficiary designation is probably going to be illegal in Tennessee, so you may want to mention to the attorney that this could possibly be an abuse of power of attorney, depending on what the actual circumstances are. If you know how to contact the insurance company, please let the insurance company know that the beneficiary designation form is going to be investigated and that your divorce decree required that the insurance remain in force (or let your attorney contact the insurance company on your behalf) so that they will not immediately make a payout on it, if they haven't done so already.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Even if the insurance company has already paid the beneficiary, you will need to decide whether you want an attorney to sue the insurance company to get what you are entitled to, if anything, as the previously designated beneficiary, if they paid the money to your ex-father in law in error.
Sponsored Ad