• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please...i need some advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

FIRST of all...i receive 1000/month in alimony for five years which will be up march '09

my divorce was in illinois...i now reside in missouri

can i file for a modification in missouri?

can i represent myself?

thanks in advance for any help you can give me...i was married for 22 years...my ex-husband makes 8xs the money i make...i am an RN and he now is the major stockholder of his deceased father's business which does approx 50 million in sales

our only son died when he was 20 (almost 5 years ago)
i have been able to work about 24 hours/wk

i have tried to cut down expenses, but if i loose the 1000/month i don't know what i'll do

i also pay for my medical out of pocket

i had some non-marital assets, which are dwindleing due to the stock market and having to use some for living expenses

Please, i need some advice...the lawyer i consulted with said "it will be a war" and could last 1.5 years and cost me over 20,000 before it's over and there are no guarantees i would prevail...i have depression and have been in treatment for many years...exacerbated by the death of my son...what should i do?
Last edited:


Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Triplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/where-do-i-need-file-440752.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential