• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Ok Crime was done in Indiana USA. I was 19 and my, now wife, was 15 at the time. 5 years ago we ranaway and left the country. I am now 24 and she is 20. We haev a child who is 2 yrs old. We are wondering if it is ok to enter the USA or will we I or both of us be subject to criminal punishments for the crimes of kidnapping and misconduct with minor and all that? Is there a statue of limitations on kidnapping? or what is it they would charge us for??? Thanks please respond. We'd like the grandparents to know we are ok and they have a grand baby!!



You did not say what your crime was. I do know from personal experience, that if you enter the US, through regular channels,i.e., customs, and there is or, are still oustanding warrants for you by the feds, you will be arrested and taken to the nearest jail by US Marshalls, happened to me in San Juan. You indicate that kidnapping is your crime, I am guessing you mean your, now wife, if this is so I do know that a Federal crime, of which you've not yet been charged/indicted for has no statue of limitations. Perhaps the wife and child should go alone or have the Grandparents come visit you. Good luck to you all, stay free, this isn't all that great of a country anyway. There are much better places to raise your children. I have done my time now and wish to leave this country for good, but my P.O. (federal) will not go along, even though I have a legite/great job offer in the Caribbean. It just never ends, STAY FREE!

Rebecca Sipos

Was the person you kidnapped, your wife? If so I would imagine that your in-laws would dropped the charges once they spoke with you.



I 'believe' that kidnapping is the taking against their will of another person. It is a crime to run off with a minor you, I assume, did so with her knowledge and consent. Chances are very good that since you are both now adults, married and have a child, that it would be against the public good to prosecute you. You do need to make a decision however since there is a limit to how long you can remain out oof the country and still hold your citizenship, 10 years I think. Best bet, call the Prosecutor and ask him. You have nothing to lose in doing so. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential