• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stormincna

What is the name of your state? Florida............I was POA for my mother. The lady at the bank called her when she was in the nursing home and she agreed to have my name put on her account. She died a few months later.....which was in 2001. My brother never spoke to her for years now he got a lawyer and he says that half of the money that was in the account when she died is half his. Is he entitled to it?

K

krispenstpeter

Wow, talk about a LACK OF FACTS.

First of all, a Power of Attorney confers no right of property and/or assets. It simply gives you the authority to act in her behalf.

So, unless you want to come back here and tell us what specific power of attorney you had, if your name was on the account or not and what occurred to bring this issue up, there's not much we can help you with.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stormincna said:
What is the name of your state? Florida............I was POA for my mother. The lady at the bank called her when she was in the nursing home and she agreed to have my name put on her account. She died a few months later.....which was in 2001. My brother never spoke to her for years now he got a lawyer and he says that half of the money that was in the account when she died is half his. Is he entitled to it?

My response:

Well, that depends upon how the account ownership was rewritten. Were you placed on the account as "trustee" for your mother, or were you placed on the account as co-owner with Rights of Survivorship?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Oh, and before he gets to your thread, contributor DandyDon will want to know how much money was in the account. Not that it matters, mind you; but, he'll still want to know.

IAAL

K

krispenstpeter

Well stormy, I thought by posting your issue here it was important?

Maybe not.

S

stormincna

It is important...thank you but I now contacted an attorney !!!!

JETX

Oh, and lets not forget another obvious question from 'Dandy Don'.... "Was the money deposited in US currency or from another country in the US with US laws?" :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">