• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POINTS OR ATHORITIES?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BADRAP

HELLO IAAL,LAWRAT & TRACEY IM STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE WAY THE CALIFORNIA COURTS WORK.

"NOT AN EASY TASK". BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS CALLED POINT'S OR ATHORITIES OR BOTH?

People v Brown (1986) 179 CA3d 207, 224 CR 476 (decision to move to withdraw guilty plea belongs to client; lawyer cannot refuse client's request to make motion). If counsel refuses to file such a motion, counsel should ask the court to appoint substitute counsel.

I WISH A COULD FIND AN ATTORNEY THAT WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE TO HERE MY SIDE OF WHAT HAPPENED,OR DO AS I ASK OR EVEN JUST
TALK TO ME INSTEAD OF AT ME ETC… OH WELL PS. TO LAWRAT I WOULD TRUST YOU FOR ALL MY CONTRACT NEGOTIATING NEEDS. LOL, I WOULD. BADRAP

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BADRAP:
HELLO IAAL,LAWRAT & TRACEY IM STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE WAY THE CALIFORNIA COURTS WORK.

"NOT AN EASY TASK". BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS CALLED POINT'S OR ATHORITIES OR BOTH?

People v Brown (1986) 179 CA3d 207, 224 CR 476 (decision to move to withdraw guilty plea belongs to client; lawyer cannot refuse client's request to make motion). If counsel refuses to file such a motion, counsel should ask the court to appoint substitute counsel.

I WISH A COULD FIND AN ATTORNEY THAT WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE TO HERE MY SIDE OF WHAT HAPPENED,OR DO AS I ASK OR EVEN JUST
TALK TO ME INSTEAD OF AT ME ETC… OH WELL PS. TO LAWRAT I WOULD TRUST YOU FOR ALL MY CONTRACT NEGOTIATING NEEDS. LOL, I WOULD. BADRAP
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

A "point" is the argument and discussion that you wish to discuss as your proposition for the way you believe the court should decide. The "authority" is (like you quoted, above) is the law, or the legal reason and decision (something for the court to hang it's hat on) for the court to rule in your favor. Once a published supreme court or appellate court decision becomes final, it is binding on lower courts under the doctrine of "stare decisis." The court uses such "authorities" to follow your logic in your "argument" or "point", so the court can understand why you're arguing the way you need to argue. Using the case authority, cited above, if there is no opposite case, or case that comes closer to your situation that would espouse an opposite viewpoint for the court to consider, the court must follow your authority. This is called "Stare Decicis" - - "The decision must stand."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited June 10, 2000).]

B

BADRAP

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE MR. IAAL. NOW IT MAKES MORE SENSE TO ME,LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">