• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police cannot get warrant and won't release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babsii

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Over a month ago, a friend was arrested for a computer crime. The police confiscated all his computer equipment, the car he was driving (it was titled in his wife's name), his briefcase and his wallet. WHen he was released OR pending trial, they told him he could not have any of his stuff back because they were getting a warrant to search these items. Now, over a month later, they informed him that the judge will not grant them a search warrant for anything because there is no probable cause. He was told that if he wants any of his stuff back, including his wife's truck, he needs to give them permission to search it all.
I told him I would not give them permission to search anything. Now, if they can't get a warrant, then what would be a reasonable amount of time for them to hold it before giving it back to him?
Isn't there something that can be filed so that he can get the return of his belongings?
He has a court appointed attorney who told him he should give them permission to search so he can get his stuff back. Any opinions? HELP!!!

BelizeBreeze

babsii said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
Over a month ago, a friend was arrested for a computer crime. The police confiscated all his computer equipment, the car he was driving (it was titled in his wife's name), his briefcase and his wallet. WHen he was released OR pending trial, they told him he could not have any of his stuff back because they were getting a warrant to search these items. Now, over a month later, they informed him that the judge will not grant them a search warrant for anything because there is no probable cause. He was told that if he wants any of his stuff back, including his wife's truck, he needs to give them permission to search it all.
I told him I would not give them permission to search anything. Now, if they can't get a warrant, then what would be a reasonable amount of time for them to hold it before giving it back to him?
Isn't there something that can be filed so that he can get the return of his belongings?
He has a court appointed attorney who told him he should give them permission to search so he can get his stuff back. Any opinions? HELP!!!
You should give them permission so he can get your stuff back. Otherwise, they can hold it until the trial is over.

Want to go without it for a year or two?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">