• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

We are getting ready to request a clerk magistrate hearing after crimes were committed against us following a dispute over a civil matter. We called the police to report the criminal incidents.

When we contacted the police station to get a copy of the police report and tell them our intentions request a clerk magistrate hearing, they tried to discourage us from scheduling the hearing.

They suggested supervised police mediation as an alternative.

The people who committed the crimes live quite close to us and have continued with some minor harassment since the police talked to them. We have documented it for the hearing, but it did not rise the level where we called the police about it. Nor did we speak to them

I have never heard of police mediation so I did some research and it seems to be a new-ish phenomenon.

There is very little data online about how effective it is at deterring harassment or imposing consequences for violation of the agreement.

While the court hearing will take longer, at least is a well-established known quantity for making sure everyone adheres to the decision and has clear consequences for violating it.

My questions are:

It is worthwhile to try police mediation?

Should we have a lawyer with us, if it is allowed?

Would it prevent us from going to court later if it does not work out?

Any other advice from anyone who has knowledge or experience with a police hearing?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My questions are:

It is worthwhile to try police mediation?
Not a legal question. It's a personal decision you will have to make.

Should we have a lawyer with us, if it is allowed?
Not a legal question. It's a personal decision you will have to make.

Would it prevent us from going to court later if it does not work out?
What did the police say when you asked them that question?

Any other advice from anyone who has knowledge or experience with a police hearing?
While it's possible that I'm mistaken, I don't believe that any advisor on this forum has dealt with a "police hearing" on this forum.

My web search wasn't able to find a specific mention of "police mediation". Are you sure you have the right term for the program you are referring to?

PayrollHRGuy

When we contacted the police station to get a copy of the police report and tell them our intentions request a clerk magistrate hearing, they tried to discourage us from scheduling the hearing.
Why would you take legal advice from non-lawyer police?
They suggested supervised police mediation as an alternative.
And did they explain what that is?

I have never heard of police mediation so I did some research and it seems to be a new-ish phenomenon.
Care to point us towards that research?

@Zigner

I have never heard of this either and found very little doing my own search before posting.

I have been feeling very lost from inside the situation.

I really appreciate your clear and honest answers.

I will be asking the police a lot of questions when I talk to them in person when I pick up the report.

I will update if and when I learn more so that others can learn about this.

Thank you!

Just Blue

@Zigner

I have never heard of this either and found very little doing my own search before posting.

I have been feeling very lost from inside the situation.

I really appreciate your clear and honest answers.

I will be asking the police a lot of questions when I talk to them in person when I pick up the report.

I will update if and when I learn more so that others can learn about this.

Thank you!
Can you tell us what city/county this is in?

Care to point us towards that research?
My apologies. Of course!

Most articles I found seem to be about mediating disputes between citizens and the police (which is not our situation). Here is an example of one:

http://blog.aboutrsi.org/2015/program-design/boston-police-department-creating-mediation-program-for-complaints-against-police/

This one is a bit closer:

https://www.mediate.com/use-mediators-and-police-as-conflict-resolution-partners/

Point noted re: your first question. We will keep that in mind. :)

Edit: Fixed duplicate link

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

My apologies. Of course!

Most articles I found seem to be about mediating disputes between citizens and the police (which is not our situation). Here is an example of one:

http://blog.aboutrsi.org/2015/program-design/boston-police-department-creating-mediation-program-for-complaints-against-police/

This one is a bit closer:

Point noted re: your first question. We will keep that in mind. :)

Is your complaint against the police? You didn't mention that in your original post?

PayrollHRGuy

No. The original dispute was with other citizens.
Well other than reporting crimes that "other citizens" have committed the police really aren't the guys and gals to call.

Which is the reason that none of links really apply.
Yet you posted the same link twice even though you thought one was somehow better than the other. I'm willing to bet that the police didn't understand what you were asking them or you didn't understand what the police told you.

Unless you are willing to give us some idea of what your problem is I can see no way we will be able to help you.

Well other than reporting crimes that "other citizens" have committed the police really aren't the guys and gals to call.

Yet you posted the same link twice even though you thought one was somehow better than the other. I'm willing to bet that the police didn't understand what you were asking them or you didn't understand what the police told you.

Unless you are willing to give us some idea of what your problem is I can see no way we will be able to help you.
Ugh. That was a copy and paste error. I will edit my post. Thanks for letting me know.

I understand that the limited amount of information I can provide makes it difficult to help.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all that you and everyone else has been able to provide.

We have decided to contact a lawyer and proceed with the hearing.

But I will still ask questions at the police station about the mediation they offered. I am curious about it.

I will post what I learn here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The more (less) that I find online about "police mediation", the more I think that it's simply an offer for the police to try to help mediate a solution to a neighbor vs neighbor situation. I doubt that it is any sort of formal (or even informal) "hearing", rather, it's likely simply the police trying to keep the peace.

Before you even contact an attorney, and definitely before you decide to accept their offer, ask the police for clarification about what they are offering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">