• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Reports in the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xcxcxcxc

I was recently a victim of sexual abuse, that forced me to take a day off from work. I talked to my employer, notified them that I would not be in and that it was due to an assault, but I did not specify that it was sexual. They told me I would be welcomed back into the workplace when I was ready - however I would have to give them a copy of the police report. I am completely uncomfortable giving them information like this and would like to avoid it entirely. Are they legally allowed to ask for a police report? I feel as though I already know the answer, as I am in an "at will" state, but I can't help but feel like I need to reach out and ask anyway. TIA.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, there are legally allowed to ask for the police report and it has nothing to do with at will (btw, 49 out of 50 states are at will and the 50th recognizes the at-will doctrine in some situations). While I understand your feelings, your employer has the right to confirm that you are telling the truth and not just claiming an assault to spend a day at the beach. It's no different than asking for a doctor's note to confirm that you were really sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">