• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Position changed without notice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HowieJ

What is the name of your state? MN

I work for a large retailer and have been full time with health insurance for a year now. I recently was hired for a job in education that has taken some time to get organized. I am working on securing my own health policy so I won't have to worry about not having any since the new job is not with benefits. So, I told my manager about the new position and they asked about my availability. I wasn't sure yet and they told me they could give me two weeks to figure out my schedule. I assumed that my official position wouldn't change since they didn't tell me any conditions of the leave. This week I found that my health insurance has been cancelled. They never notified me that they were changing my official position to part time or that benefits would change. Can they just change this without letting me know?? I had a medical procedure last friday that may not be covered now. I'm a little miffed by this and wondering if they went outside any lines here. thanks for any advice.

Howie J

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You ASSUMED that nothing would change? You didn't ask them when the insurance would be cancelled?

HowieJ

They never said it was a change of position. Simply that I could have until the 13th of Oct. and decide if I had to move to part time or not. That response tells me that everything stays the same from their end. Looking at my benefits website, I haven't had coverage since Oct. 1, which means they changed it about 3 days into my hiatus.

Howie j

ecmst12

Is there a requirement that you must work a certain number of hours per week in order to qualify for insurance? If so, then you would not qualify while on a leave of absence, having nothing to do with your potential position change. You should get Cobra information in the mail shortly; you can pay for a month of Cobra to cover the procedure that you had (and longer if you wish to keep coverage).

Beth3

I assumed that my official position wouldn't change since they didn't tell me any conditions of the leave. I don't know why you would assume your employer would continue to pay for your health insurance when taking personal leave to prepare for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">