• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Position restructure wage decrease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elizabeth1cma

recently my employer had to start paying overtime for my position so they made of hourly decrease our wages and told us that we had to work 45 hours a week to get the same pay that we had prior. Is this legal? this came about after the company was sued because the plaintiffs said that we work way more hours than compensated for.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
recently my employer had to start paying overtime for my position so they made of hourly decrease our wages and told us that we had to work 45 hours a week to get the same pay that we had prior. Is this legal? this came about after the company was sued because the plaintiffs said that we work way more hours than compensated for.
It is legal to reduce your future wages. As long as you know before you do the work what the wage rate will be and you are paid at least minimum wage there is no wage violation. The employer cannot, of course, go back and say wages already earned at the higher rate are reduced.

xylene

When the speed-up comes, just twiddle your thumbs.

It's time to start looking for a new job or plod along at this one until you are fired or you and your peers affected by this could start cooperating and raise your voice together. Which might get you canned, but honestly it's perfectly legal to have some self respect.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
...or you and your peers affected by this could start cooperating and raise your voice together. Which might get you canned....
However, if they reason they get canned is because they are working together regarding wages or working conditions that would likely violate the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), for which they could sue the employer. So fear of getting canned should not stop them from organizing a union or otherwise working together to oppose the reduced wages.

xylene

However, if they reason they get canned is because they are working together regarding wages or working conditions that would likely violate the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), for which they could sue the employer. So fear of getting canned should not stop them from organizing a union or otherwise working together to oppose the reduced wages.
People are illegally fired all the time, and the current administration's posture on NLRA is toilet paper weak.
It is a reality for the OP to think about when they weigh their need for income vs dignity.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
People are illegally fired all the time, and the current administration's posture on NLRA is toilet paper weak.
It is a reality for the OP to think about when they weigh their need for income vs dignity.
People get fired illegally all the time, but when they do they at least have legal recourse for it. And while Trump's position on the NLRB is not strong, nevertheless he has not gotten Congress to change or repeal the law and he does not control the courts. You are right that it is something to consider; after all even a successful lawsuit would likely take several years before the plaintiffs got anything and they need to weigh that against their need for current income from the job. My point here was only to point out to the OP that there is recourse for firing employees for working together on the wage issue. You didn't mention that, making it seem like the OP could be fired and there would be nothing he or she could do about it.

xylene

My point here was only to point out to the OP that there is recourse for firing employees for working together on the wage issue. You didn't mention that, making it seem like the OP could be fired and there would be nothing he or she could do about it.
That's quote true, though my intent was to urge the OP to stand up even if there was no legal recourse

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course, it would be interesting to know WHY the employer took this step. The poster said same position, title and duties; she did NOT say, same hours, for example.,

xylene

Of course, it would be interesting to know WHY the employer took this step. The poster said same position, title and duties; she did NOT say, same hours, for example.,
Come on man, she said same wages for more hours...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">