• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poss. Beneficiary to an unknown policy NEEDS HELP SOS!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amilynnmc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My husband's mother was going through a divorce from his step father before recently passing away. Mom told us numerous times that she changed the beneficiary on her policies to his name, and removed step dad from all policies. The divorce was being contested by step dad when mom passed.

We have no knowledge of the insurance companies that wrote the policies, no copies or statements of these policies, no credible documentation such as a will to give us any direction, and it will be another week before we can even get a copy of the death certificate. Mom's divorce attorney also has no supporting documentation, and can only confirm that mom also discussed with her having life insurance with my husband named as beneficiary.

Step dad had said he tried to contact mom's insurance companies, but they told him she had sent written requests to cancel her policies. We can not be certain that we can believe him, as there has also been much dispute about a safety deposit box left in my husband's name. The contents were not of great importance and have been distributed accordingly... contents belonging to younger siblings and mom's siblings. We did give step dad a signed statement of inventory of the box contents, but he is certain we are still holding something that is not there.

How can we determine if mom did or did not have life insurance policies (and which companies)? If there are policies and my husband IS the named beneficiary, would he have total rights to the monies? If step dad finds the policies before we do and disputes the beneficiary, will we be notified? Where can we find legal help (what kind of lawyer), and will legal costs accrue if we lose a dispute or win a dispute or no matter of the outcome??
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My husband's mother was going through a divorce from his step father before recently passing away. Mom told us numerous times that she changed the beneficiary on her policies to his name, and removed step dad from all policies. The divorce was being contested by step dad when mom passed.

We have no knowledge of the insurance companies that wrote the policies, no copies or statements of these policies, no credible documentation such as a will to give us any direction, and it will be another week before we can even get a copy of the death certificate. Mom's divorce attorney also has no supporting documentation, and can only confirm that mom also discussed with her having life insurance with my husband named as beneficiary.

Step dad had said he tried to contact mom's insurance companies, but they told him she had sent written requests to cancel her policies. We can not be certain that we can believe him, as there has also been much dispute about a safety deposit box left in my husband's name. The contents were not of great importance and have been distributed accordingly... contents belonging to younger siblings and mom's siblings. We did give step dad a signed statement of inventory of the box contents, but he is certain we are still holding something that is not there.

How can we determine if mom did or did not have life insurance policies (and which companies)? If there are policies and my husband IS the named beneficiary, would he have total rights to the monies? If step dad finds the policies before we do and disputes the beneficiary, will we be notified? Where can we find legal help (what kind of lawyer), and will legal costs accrue if we lose a dispute or win a dispute or no matter of the outcome??
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Request Your MIB Consumer File - MIB Group, Inc.

These people may be able to help your husband find out where there are policies. If your husband is the named beneficiary, the insurance company WILL pay out to him. This does NOT sound like a case where, if your husband was named beneficiary, step dad could dispute it. It's VERY difficult to successfully dispute beneficiary claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">