• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesion in evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rothbone

What is the name of your state? KY

I tried to sell a laptop on e-bay in July 2003. It ended up being stolen. The Beverly Hills Police in California recovered the laptop. The detective will not give it back. The laptop is depriciating in value. How long can the police hold it in evidence? Should I have received a receipt for the unit?

B

BB_Wolfe

How did you get this laptop?

Your story sounds 100% fishy.

R

rothbone

I bought the laptop through Alienware. Due to finacial issues I tried to sell it for money. This did not work out for me. What sounds fishy?

R

rothbone

The man that stole the laptop made me an offer outside of e-bay. He said that he would give x if I sold it to him now. It was a good price. His offer was only 500 less than what I paid. I jumped on it. Then he wanted to do escrow. I said fine, but I didn't check out the company he wanted to use. Evidently he had made up his own escrow website. He evidently had stole from hundreds of people all over the world.

I don't understand why the police still need my laptop. It is going on 6 monthes. He said that he might need a month. After two monthes I called him to get an update and he chewed me out. He said that he would call me with updates. If he keeps it to long it might as well been stolen because it will be worthless.

B

BB_Wolfe

Your original post made it sound like you sold a stolen laptop.

If you cannot formulate a sentence so that it's coherent, then don't bother posting. Don't waste our time.

R

rothbone

I was trying not to waste peoples time by keeping my post short and to the point. The point being the police have something that is mine. I have the receipt of purchase. I just wanted to find out how long the police can legally keep the laptop. Then a friend said that I should have received a receipt from the police that they have the unit. I didn't want to sell the unit. Being out of work for 6 monthes forced me.

The whole thing is frustrating. The laptop is a year old now. Its is only worth half of what it was worth in July.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">