• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of marijuana, and fireworks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Recently i got charged for possession of illegal fireworks and possession of marijuana. (under 2.5g). Now im mentioned in a police blotter for my town's local newspaper. They mentioned my name, age (which isnt correct), my address, what i did, and when i will appear in court. I think this is way unfair, i feel like they totally labled my entire life. I have no past criminal record/history, this is my first time i ever had problems with the police...im honestly a good kid. lol. I dont know if this matters but im 18. Some one explain to me if they have the right to do this. It feels so unfair...but i heard many times thats what life is. Thanks for reading my first post.

Edit: i was reading some other threads and they mentioned quasi-contract. If i do plan on getting an attorney, i could get these charges dropped right? since they did ask me to snitch. i denied being part of the sting operation. the dealer isnt my friend, and i dont know if hes in a gang or w/e...so mostly saftey reasons.
Last edited:

garrula lingua

Senior Member
In many areas, the police blotter entries are printed in the paper. That's fine - it's public info.
There might be a problem if you were a minor, but you are an adult.

If you are 'assisting cops with info" do not tell anyone.

Do not post it on the internet.
Do not tell your friends, relative, current squeeze, pastor/rabbi/priest.

Do not tell anyone.

Informers get injured - hurt - killed. Sometimes by total strangers who hate informers.

Do what you believe is right for yourself. Do not share info which may harm you.


Junior Member
thanks for the tip. what about deformation of character? ugh...w/e your prolly right. but this is so unfair! would i like some cheese with that whine...yes..im actually quite hungry. :D

garrula lingua

Senior Member
No you don't have
deformation of character
& you don't have defamation. Truth is a defense to unpleasant/harmful info.

Just talk to an atty - the PD if you can't afford a private atty.
You may get a very light sentence on both of these - they are light misdemeanors.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential